Am I really too thin?

So, my mom always has to talk smack about my weight. The only time she didn't harass me about my weight was right after having my daughter and I weighed like 135lbs. To most women, that's a great number, right? Problem is I don't even clear 5 feet tall. I'm 4'11''. 135lbs at my height means muffin top. (Honestly, I didn't feel huge then either really, but definitely not myself). Anyway, I have been eating clean for a while now, I work out regularly and I am very toned. Within 5 minutes of my visit my mom says "Wow, you're too thin." This annoys the hell out of me considering she has ALWAYS had weight problems and I am the only child (out of 5)  who is not overweight. (Actually, that's a lie, my stepsister is thin, but she's skinny fat aka doesn't eat much and never works out.....and still has extra meat).

Anyway, I am 4'11" 106.5lbs with a 26.5 inch waist. You can't see my ribs unless I'm bending over and reaching for something. I have muscle. I'm not a skeleton.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• do you know how to calculate your BMI? http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm this is a link to show your mom the next time she harps on you.. when i was in the military i taught nutritional classes etc. and someone with a BMI of 20-25 is HEALTHY and within their range. you scored a 21.5 you are PERFECTLY FINE! tell her to shush!
    Mavoreen

Answer by Mavoreen at 11:15 PM on May. 26, 2011

• "I myself don't hang around short women because I feel too tall at 5'7"....SeasideNative, i'm 5'9'' and that doesn't stop me from hanging out with females who are shorter than me. infact one of my closest military friends is exactly 5ft and its not awkward at all. we have nicknames for eachother and we have fun! why let height get in the way of potential friendship?
    Mavoreen

Answer by Mavoreen at 11:18 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Well if that is you weight and you're fine with it then let it go.
    I myself don't hang around short women because I feel too tall at 5'7".
    So maybe your Mom honestly feels awkward because compared to you she feels large.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 11:15 PM on May. 26, 2011

• no your not too thin, sounds like your doing all the right things, (I am very overweight but working on it) this may sound crazy but as for your mom, overweight people sometimes want everyone to be a little chunky too so they dont look so bad - you are doing all the right things and she isnt she so is jealous, and says that to try to put you down, when she really is down on herself ...
    MomDW

Answer by MomDW at 11:19 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Well, gosh Seaside Native..............I hope that's not a problem with most people. Otherwise who would hang out with my midget like self? :) I am used to my height, it's part of me. I don't discriminate against tall women. This is my stepmother, so maybe part of it is that my bio mom is also very slender...........not really sure on that. However, I have ALWAYS been interested in being athletic and fit, so it's not something new and she is only 5'6''
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Oh and my bio mom is also very short. Wow....maybe she doesn't like me much for those reasons? Oddly, she complains about my sister's weight calling her fat, while her bio daughter is slender and perfect. I guess we're the red headed step children minus the red hair.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 PM on May. 26, 2011