My 9yr old has a crush on his teacher.

I had no idea that he had a crush on her. I found out tonight only because hes out of school for the summer and isn't going to see her until this fall. He said he never really told her good bye and gave her a card. He started to cry about it. Ive never had to deal with this kinda of behavior yet and I'm not sure how to talk to him about it. Any advice?

EvansMommy31605

Asked by EvansMommy31605 at 11:12 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't do much about it. Tell him he'll be alright but don't play it up too big. It's not really weird for a young kid to have a little crush like that but you don't want to make it seem like it's perfectly acceptable for him to "like" a teacher, but at the same time you don't want to make him feel bad about it either. Treat as you would one of his friends moving away. Tell him it sucks now but it will get better and distract him with summer activities.
    Anonymous

• Thanks a lot. I guess its just part of growing up. :(
    I've been talking to him about our plans for the summer so hes feeling a little better. :)
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Poor kid!! He will get over it. It's normal for a kid to have a crush on his/her teacher. Once he's enjoying the summer, he will forget all about her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:33 PM on May. 27, 2011