Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone go to a community college after being a Sahm for a long time?

or any college courses
.....what are good courses to take to help get the basics packed into my brain so can have something under my belt?.... i have no job skills no job experience so getting hired isnt easy for someone like me especially in this day and age where a even someone WITH experience cant get a job!

... are there any options to get in without spending alot or some sort of scholarships/programs? i know they have financial aid which you have to pay back after you finish but i dont want to put my family at financial risk if anything happened before i could pay it back, like i cant finish or i am unable to get a job after and we are basically screwed financially, ive seen several people who are now in bankruptcy after getting into the whole college thing

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I am taking a class this summer. But it is a language course. And I also take a quilt class on the side.

    Answer by SeasideNative at 11:17 PM on May. 26, 2011

  • depending on you income, you might be able to get a grant. Depending on what year you graduated high school and if you have no college credit, you'd have to take a placement test.
    If you fail any part of that test, you have to take those classes first.
    Good Luck

    Answer by SassySue123 at 11:25 PM on May. 26, 2011

  • I am going to register for Fall classes since all my kids will be in school full time. I too have been a SAHM for the last 8 years, and it's tough trying to figure out the next step. So I thought, why not pick up where I left off? Online courses are often less expensive and most colleges offer tests for opting out of classes with full credit (I think it's called "Clep" or "Clap" test). Most states have grants and after some credits you'd be eligible for other grants as well. There are some lesser known grants that you can look up in the financial aid office to see if you qualify and how to apply. With most Federal Stafford loans you won't have to start paying back for at least 6 months after graduation. Also, compare schools, your closest school may cost more than one that's an hour away, and in the long run what you spend in gas would be less than the tuition, so shop around. Best of luck to you!

    Answer by Aneya at 11:58 PM on May. 26, 2011

  • I was a SAHM for 8 years and then went back to the local community college. I absolutely loved it! I paid for my first semester (had I known better I would have applied for FAFSA), but then got financial aid for my 2nd semester, and got a scholarship for my 3rd. I only had 3 semesters to get the degree I went for (Associates in Biopharmaceutical Techonology) due to having college credit from my 1st degree. I also could have most likely gotten a scholarship to continue my studies at one of the local 4 yr universities, but I had to make more money than I was making to support my 3 kids (I was a single mom at the time). Good luck!

    Answer by missanc at 8:26 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • Start with the core college courses.

    Answer by tasches at 12:00 AM on May. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.