Your baby can read

Has anyone tried this program? Tell me how you feel about it, was it difficult and expensive?

danichaos

Asked by danichaos at 11:20 PM on May. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I haven't tried it, but I can tell you my feelings about what I see on the informercial. A baby is memorizing a flashcard after seeing a visual image on a TV screen. The AAP doesn't even recommend TV for infants under 2 yrs of age.

You can read to your baby for free. Get books from the library, go home, put your baby on your lap, and read to them. Babies learn by modeling what we do, and watching our faces. Why does a baby need to read? Sure, if a child could *comprehend* what they read, that would be great, but let's face it, not everyone is that intelligent. We all develop our intellect at our own pace. An infant needs to be talked to, read to, and stimulated, but YBCR is not the way to do it.

Just my opinion from the infomercial. I wouldn't waste my money on it.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:30 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i tried it.. and we love it.. my children are 5 and 6 now but it still helped them along great. i seen that they have your child and read now and i would love to get that for them.. i really don't know how much it cost. a friend of mine had it and gave it to me when she was done with it. i would definitely say its worth it because my little ones can read so well now.
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 11:31 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My MIL bought it for my kids and I cant even get them to sit and watch it. She tells me to force them to watch it but I am going to let them be kids, they will learn on their own time and when school starts. I am planning on selling it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:33 PM on May. 26, 2011

• We tried it for a bit all it did was increase her vocabulary. The better system is leapfrog by far. My DD has learned so much from these DVD's and just from watching them a few times. She has been trying to sound out words for well over year--she will be 3 in a few weeks. I wouldn't waste the money on YBCR.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:38 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I have it, my SIL gave it to me, but we don't use it. My older three learned to read without it - my oldest has autism so he didn't learn until a little later, but my 2nd and 3rd learned to read before they were in kindergarten. I really wouldn't waste the time trying to teach a baby to read - why does he need to read?? Just because they can "read" doesn't mean they can comprehend. You're better off waiting a few years until your child is developmentally ready to read, and then going with a phonics based program.

Answer by missanc at 8:05 AM on May. 27, 2011