MIL wants my kids to call her Ma

Sadly we live with my evil MIL. Since we have been here she has tried everything she could to over ride me on things when it comes to my kids. She will talk over me if I try to tell my kids something or if I tell my daughter to eat 3 bites of her meal she would be done my MIL will tell her no just one and she;s done.
My youngest calls me Mommy/Ma Ma and my oldest calls me Ma ma. Well my MIL is now telling mu kids to start calling her Ma. I told my husband I dislike it because it's pretty much Ma Ma. He thinks I'm over reacting. Do you think I am?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• Piss her off and start telling them to call her Mee Maw. If from the deep south that is fine..if you aren't it is generally not okay. She could be Nana.
    You're in a crappy situation living with her..but don't let her impune your authority with your kids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:29 PM on May. 26, 2011

• No, the woman is their grandma. Your husband needs to grow a pair and let his mother know you are his wife and mother to his children, not her.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:29 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I don't think you are overreacting, that isn't right at all. First she thinks she can raise your kids better than you can then she wants to be called "ma" too? It sounds like "mom" to me and she isn't... how about "gramma".
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 11:30 PM on May. 26, 2011

• no not at all you need to tell your to stand up and be a man
    alliep2011

Answer by alliep2011 at 11:29 PM on May. 26, 2011

• If I had the guts I would stand up to her. If you are like me you like to keep the peace at the expense of your own sanity! I have had many many mil issues I talk them over with my dh and he generally gets caught in the middle but gets my point of view. I have yet to let her know anything...keeping the peace. Having said that, I agree with you, the nickname "Ma" is deffinately geared toward the mother!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:30 PM on May. 26, 2011

• tell them she likes to be called granny! (:
    Mama.Mantha1318

Answer by Mama.Mantha1318 at 11:30 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I don't blame you at all! That's ridiculous!
    Mama.Mantha1318

Answer by Mama.Mantha1318 at 11:50 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I could tell you all night long things to say...it won't help until DH cuts the umbilical cord and stand by your side. I would do what EVER it took to get out of that womans house. If DH came, fine. If not, then he made his choice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:00 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Make a list of appropriate grandmother names and share it with your husband. You aren't overreacting. Ma is for mothers and practically, it will be confusing when they call her Ma and you Mama. If he doesn't come around and support you, you have a bigger problem than this. Good luck.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:36 AM on May. 27, 2011

• She hates the name Nana and my husband wants my kids to call her Ma. I feel like she is trying to be their mother. I know I am a damn good mother so she has no right to take that title from me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 PM on May. 26, 2011