Think of your closest friends...how did you meet the most recent one?

I just realized I haven't made a close friend since my sophmore year of high school and I graduated 6 years ago :( I have one kind of close friend who used to be my ex-boss about 4 years back how sad is that? I have acquaintances at work and stuff but not many people I can just call up and chat with or go hang out with. I don't even know how to meet people anymore. Even in places like mommy groups or wherever I just feel so anti-social and akward. How do you meet friends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• My "closest" friend I met back when I was 13 at church camp...if that's saying anything. We're not so close anymore (obviously), but I'm closest to her than any of my former HS friends.

Personally, I'm tired of meeting people and them ending up being jerks in the end anyway.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:31 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My most recent I met at work, a little over a year ago.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:33 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I feel ya....I'm in the same situation. Last time I remember having my close dear friend was back in high school. I lost contact with her, and I can't find her anywhere, not even in any of the social networking sites. I always remember her and wonder how she's doing. I am feeling the same way as you, I have no friends whatsoever, and my family? well, they are a special case. Everyone is divided against each other, mostly because of the people my sibblings married, they have done more harm then good. So I decide to stay away from everyone for all the conflicts, gossips, and rivalries among themselves. So you can say I am very lonely in a new town, just me and my kids and my separated hubby, (yes, we are separated but living in the same house) with no friends or anyone, like you say, that I can just call up and chat or hang out with....u can send me a request if you'd like we can chat a bit to vent.. (((hugs))
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 11:41 PM on May. 26, 2011

• i used to feel helpless in this town i move to in Missouri. it only has MAYBE 1000 people.. i moved here from Colorado Springs.. right in the middle of down town. I left all of my closest friends there. The only person i seemed to have was DH. Dont get me wrong i love being close to him but there is just times when i need to talk to someone else. I met my closest friend about 4 years ago. We met at work. I usually don't get close to people that i work with but she was just different. and well our first month working together we took a road trip to Oklahoma to pick my little sister up to come visit me for a while. I think that was the first time i could actually call her my friend. and well we just got along so great. had lots in common and just went from there. Its night that DH also gets along with her . She had recently got married. I was by her side for that and when she had her first child. She just had her Second today
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 11:50 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Were dont see each other as often as we used to but we are still very close and i can call her to talk or just get out of the house for a while. Shes probably the closest friend i have had in my life.. i think its because we're adults and have more in common with each other. the friend i was close to in Colorado wouldn't be the type of people i would be really close to now. They were more less Teenage Friends and we've just grown apart. Good Luck on finding someone for companionship .. its nice to have someone to talk to. You can add me if you like.. i'll talk to you. and we can get to know each other. I'm always looking for people to talk to and mothers to enjoy conversation about the family to :)
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 11:55 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My most recent friend is the now ex-girlfriend of one of our ex-roommates.

I really enjoyed getting to know her and we have a lot in common. Although I don't agree with how they met or that they had a child before he ever filed for divorce (which BTW still hasn't happened and it has been 5 1/2 years since he left his wife). I love her for who she is and hate the fact that she will be moving about 3 hours away since she and her ex have broken up. I will miss her so much.

My other really close friend and I met in HS about 15-16 years ago. We could go months without talking and it is like we haven't missed a beat. I love her kids like they are my own and she feels the same about mine. She is more like a sister than my sisters are to me and she feels the same about me. Gotta love it when you find your best friend who truly completes you like your SO can't.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:28 AM on May. 27, 2011

• The best place to meet friends is anywhere you have frequent exposure to the same people and involvement with them in some activity. I think places of worship are the best places to meet people and become friends because you can spend a few times week with them and you can work together on projects (Moms group, vacation bible school, religious class). It's a good place to meet families with children the same age as yours. Find a congregation that shows love and an interest in your family right away. Good luck.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:34 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I met mine right here on CM. I answered a question she had posted and then she messaged me about it. We messaged back and forth, found we had a lot of things in common and became CM friends. Eventually we did exchange real life info (name, email, address, phone #). We keep in touch via CM, facebook, email and send cards, and call each other. We have not met in real life yet due to living so far apart. Someday we do hope to meet though.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My closest friend I met at 11, and I am now 39 lol. I had made a really good, the sister God didn't give me friend, in 1999. She passed in 2005 and I haven't really made an effort to make more. I find that making new friends is difficult, but I'm socially awkward! :o/
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:34 AM on May. 28, 2011