Have I waited too long to do something about my son's Asperger's?

I didn't know he had it. We just thought he was an overly sensitive kid, but when we took him to see different counselors, they finally got down to the nitty gritty and said they believe he's got Autism and Asperger's, and now I feel like I was not a good mom in noticing the signs earlier. :(

Tealberi

Asked by Tealberi at 11:32 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Asperger's is a form of high functioning Autism - what is called the spectrum of Austism. No-one was diagnosed with it until about 20 years ago when it was first described and recognised. It's good you caught it when you did, as it is more managable with understanding, which really is all the diagnosis is. You don't "treat" it, you manage the symptoms by understanding them. My dad had it, and my brother has it. It's not a death sentence at all. My Dad was an awesome father and my bro is cool. The diagnosis should help shed some light on his behaviours and help you understand him better is all. Have you seen the book "All Cats Have Aspergers" It's nice.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:37 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Thanks for the answer. No, I will look that book up. I'm currently reading "No More Meltdowns", and am hoping it helps me help him when he has his "episodes". I thought I understood him all this time, but now I'm feeling guilty for punishing him during times when he obviously couldn't help it. I'm learning more and more each day.
    Tealberi

Comment by Tealberi (original poster) at 11:41 PM on May. 26, 2011

• The good thing is you are working on it now. A book that I always recommend for my patients is "The out of sync child" and "The out of Sync Child has fun". The first helps to explain sensory integration, the second is a book of great activities for children. Since I don't know your son, I am not sure if there are sensory issues as well. Regardless, both are GREAT books.
    mconnoll

Answer by mconnoll at 12:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Don't be so hard on yourself - Asperger's is often undiagnosed for a variety of reasons. You understand now, & that's what matters.

Check out this guy's website. He is an adult w/ Asperger's & I loved both his books. My brother in law & nephew are both Aspergians & his books have helped me understand them so much better.

http://johnrobison.com/
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:36 PM on May. 27, 2011