What are some must haves for breastfeeding?

MommyMJean

Asked by MommyMJean at 11:35 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• boobs.
    yup, that's it. lol
    a boppy for newborns.
    are you planning to pump?
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 11:50 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes.
    MommyMJean

Comment by MommyMJean (original poster) at 11:56 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Nursing bras, nursing pads, a tank tops to wear under ur shirts pull it under ur breast so ur not exposing ur back and belly. They have breast feeding tanks but just regular undershirt tanktops and a pump was a musthave for me=) good luck!
    miasmama07

Answer by miasmama07 at 11:57 PM on May. 26, 2011

• I meant regular tanks work just as well as the tanks tht u can unclip and nurse with and they're cheaper:)
    miasmama07

Answer by miasmama07 at 11:59 PM on May. 26, 2011

• A nursing pillow that is a comfortable height for you (if you are on the short side, a Boppy may be too high), a nursing shawl (especially if you can find one with a weight that goes over the shoulder), and it's best if you have nursing bras and tops, or other clothes that are amenable to comfortable easy breast access without showing too much of you. I wore alot of camis with button up shirts, or low crisscross shirts over them, so the cami could get pulled up, and the other shirt down or to the side, so I was mostly covered.

Enjoy breastfeeding your child. It is a wonderful bonding experience, but requires commitment to be successful, especially the first 6-8 weeks. It is the best thing you can do nutritionally and immunologically for the baby, and has lots of benefits for you too, especially if you keep it going until they go on cows milk at a year. Lots of luck!
    irdocmom

Answer by irdocmom at 12:01 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I also recommend an electric breast pump.
    irdocmom

Answer by irdocmom at 12:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I also recommend a strong support network.

If you are going to pump and want to hands free you need sports bras as well--cut holes and put flanges through
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:14 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Above all you need commitment to breastfeeding. There are terrible days and wonderful days and everything in between. (Today was a terrible one for me!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Lanolin cream.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 10:41 AM on May. 27, 2011

• lanolin cream is nice

breast pads can be useful

If you plan to pump and work then you want a electric double pump.

If you plan to pump occasionally then a hand pump would do

Boppy pillow is really nice to have

A lactation consultant can be a major plus if you are having any problems

Information! all the information you can read. Kellymom is a great place to start

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:46 AM on May. 27, 2011