Sharing a room while giving birth?

I found out a few days ago by a nurse who works at the hospital I will be delivering at, that not always do you get your own room. I was horrified by the thought of having to share a room with another women and her family while I'm giving birth uhg. So my question is... did this happen to you? and if so how was your experince good or bad? I'm due in May and that is a very popular time of year to have a baby, so I'm thinking my odds of doubling up are greater than normal. Thanks

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I doubt thats what she meant. In the hospital I work at, yes, sometimes the women have to share rooms, but the birthing room and the room you stay in are separate. AFTER you give birth they transfer you to a regular hospital room in the OB department, and that is where you may be sharing a room. At least, thats how it is at my hospital.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I'm sure it's the recovery rooms that are shared, not the delivery room.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• The hospital where I will deliver you have one room for everything, thats what makes me wonder..
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• If they did that they would seriously violate HIPPA laws. So you would probably share a room during your stay after the baby is born.
    vroberts3677

Answer by vroberts3677 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Check and see if you have a women's center in your city. We have several and all women get their own private words. No way would I want to share a room with a complete stranger. Recovery or not.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think it's horrible to share during recovery too.l had to do that last time and literally you are bleeding like crazy and sharing a toilet with someone else who is bleeding too. I don't see how it's healthy.

I kept putting the paper seat down and hovering, but I mean I could barely move as it was.

I have never heard of sharing while delivering. I think they usually keep women separate for that part....
    Anonymous

• that's just another reason why i would never want to deliver a baby at a hospital. sorry to hear that.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I chose to go to a smaller hospital rather than our large ones just because they only had 6 suites and they were one woman rooms! It was AWESOME!

If you are concerned, ask the doctor who will be delivering you what the arrangements are like. Maybe they can request that you not have to share.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 9:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I had to share a room with my first two sons. But I had my own labour room and delivery room and own room for a couple hours after the birth during the recovery. It was after that I was moved to the room I had for the rest of my stay that I had to share. With my last son, the hospital had had major renos and I had a single room that I was in for my entire stay. If I hadn't had to have a surprise c/s I'd have been able to deliver there too.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• The hospital I'm delivering at lets you pay a 50 dollar fee each night to get your own suite. But otherwise you have to room with another person.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 1:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2008