How to drive ????

I am 24 and I have no idea on how to drive !!

We lived somewhere that I didnt have to drive because there were several options for me to get places and it just seemed silly and I didnt bother to ever learn.

Well now we have moved to a small town, where there is no public transportation...and I have to learn to drive... by August so I can take my child to school.

I already have my permit ( I know the laws and rules and things ) ... but when I actually sit down to drive i get so nervous and I cant concentrate.

It feels like I have no depth perception and I think that is the worst thing... I cant tell how far over I am on the road, I cant tell how far I am backing up, etc. whenever a car goes pass while i am practicing I freak out because it looks like they are going to hit me.

Has anyone else felt like this ? Does it go away / get better the longer you drive?

I rarely practice now because my husband gets annoyed with me hitting gas, break, gas, break....

But I HAVE to by August !!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• PRACTICE!!! Go driving with someone who is NOT your DH!! Look where your going, not right at the road directly in front of your car. And, take a drivers ED course... they will help you with this, and you can do some of your practicing with them!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:54 PM on May. 26, 2011

• The depth thing will get better as you drive.

If you have the money I'd highly suggest going with a driver instructor from a driving school. When I was younger I had trouble learning how to drive because my father expected me to drive better and attempt things I knew I wasn't ready to do and then it'd turn into a fight fest. I paid money for a driving instructor instead and it was money well spent. The guy I had was like the king of patience. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 27, 2011

• PS With the driving instructor I had my license in like 8 or 9 weeks (1 lesson a week until he felt I was ready to test - and I passed on my first try.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Have you had your vision checked? If you have a problem with depth perception, it probably won't get better until you remedy that situation. Also, if it really isn't your vision, you have to trust that the car won't hit you etc. After having successful moments (the car doesn't hit you), you will gain more trust in yourself. If you can afford a driving school, get a lesson. If not, try a friend to help you learn. Sometimes, the person who teaches us is just as important as the driving experience. Hang in there. You can do it!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:57 AM on May. 27, 2011