Is it a bad idea to have no problem with 18 year old going to a rave in another state?

My daughter turned 18 in February, she is graduating high school this June. She still lives at home respects our family rules. She wants to go to Las Vegas for a three day rave. She does not use drugs and I trust her judgement. Also her boyfriends parents are driving renting two rooms at a hotel one for the mom, sister and my daughter a room for dad and son. 

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 11:52 PM on May. 26, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Legally you have no say, but just the fact that she's in HS would make me still view her as a child. But she's going with his parents so that'd make me feel a little better. I'm NOT saying your child does drugs, but drugs are pretty much the POINT of going specifically to a rave, so why not just go to a dance club if that's all she wants to do? It would worry me more that she'll be around so many people on God knows what. Do you trust that the boyfriend does not do anything? Again, I'm not saying they do! But that is what would worry me most. Otherwise, it's just like a vacation with his parents.
    Anonymous

• She's with adults, so I think it would be fine. She sounds smart and well-adjusted. As I've always told my kids, I trust you, but worry about the others.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:58 PM on May. 26, 2011

• For me personally, there is no way my kid would go. Even the most responsible child can make bad decisions in those situarions. But then at the same time she's 18 and legally an adult. If it was me I just wouldn't be comfortable wth it.
    IamErin-K.

Answer by IamErin-K. at 11:58 PM on May. 26, 2011

• If you trust ur daughter and the hotel situation is a good 1..i dont see anything wrong with it..My mom was like this with my sis and i she trusted us to have good judgement and we did. She never worried about us going anywhere like that we have went and done a lot of things most kids our ages parents never would have allowed..it sounds like you trust ur daughter. So i see nothing wrong here!
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 12:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I would trust her and let her go. I understand that she is in your house but she is an adult and it sounds like you know she is trustworthy. She must have done well in high school to be graduating on time so it isnt like she is a huge party girl...

Also, she is old enough that having too many rules may make her want to move out before she is financially and emotionally ready. Dont allow a free for all but give her some slack.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 11:33 AM on May. 27, 2011

• You have have issues with the situation, but she's legally an adult. Trust her to make the right decisions.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:37 PM on May. 27, 2011

• If that is the rel plan, I;d be ok with it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:03 PM on May. 28, 2011

• She might be legally 18 but she still resides in your home and isn't finished with high school. You have no say? That sounds like your home is basically her 'boarding house' and she's on her own then. NO. Not in my house. No raves. I've seen what goes on at raves and I haven't seen much that's 'positive' about it. In my home, under my roof, my rules apply. When my daughter doesn't live with me, then she can come and go as she pleases and I can have no say. I trust my daughters judgement too but...bad things happen. Our niece was drugged and date raped without every knowing what hit her. Some places just aren't the best choices to let your kids go.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011