Would making sloppy joes this way work? I have no stove to use and have to make 5 lbs worth

I have to cook up 5 lbs of ground beef for sloppy joes and have no stove to use and was thinking of just crumbling it all up in a crock pot and then when it is cooked draining the fat and continue making the sloppy joes

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 12:18 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes, that's how I make mine. When you cook it that way the flavoring goes deep down inside the meat and tastes much better!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:20 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Do you have a griddle or something similar you can use instead?

I usually make meatloaf in the crockpot, so I guess the meat thing would work, but it isn't ideal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I have a griddle but wouldn't 5 lbs of ground beef make for alot of fat going into the drip pan, IDK ....
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 12:23 AM on May. 27, 2011

• i made chili this way. you can pour or scoop out the meat into a colander to get the fat/grease out. when cock pock is empty you can dump/wipe out remaining grease .
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 12:47 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I actually thought about buying crockpot liners and when the meat is cooked just pull up the liner and poke holes to drain out the grease then pour the meat into crock for sloppy joes
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 12:49 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes, that's how I make mine all the time; start in the morning and then by 2 or 3 PM it is done. When you cook it that way the flavoring goes deep down inside the meat and tastes much better
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:21 AM on May. 27, 2011

• crock pot will work great.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:05 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Do it all the time around here. Add a little water in the bottom so it doesn't scorch, helps make it drain easier too. I would not use a liner though, just put it right in and dump out into a colander to drain - the bags don't stand up well to being lifted out while hot & full!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 12:49 PM on May. 27, 2011