Migraines

How do you get rid of migraines? Over-the-counter, prescription, or natural/herbal products?

CeeCee333

Asked by CeeCee333 at 12:38 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Health

• i had to get a prescription for mine. there was NOTHING over the counter that would help.. ive even tried natural products and it does Nothing for me. i take imatrix, a dark room, and a cool wash cloth for my head.
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 12:42 AM on May. 27, 2011

• oh and it HAS to be quiet.
    EvansMommy31605

• i use goody powders they are a miracle worker for me
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:43 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I have had terrible migraines my entire life. I have tried EVERYTHING there is to try. What I have found is that the cause is different for every person and the treatments are different for every person. One thing that has really helped me recently is the headache diet. You can look it up. It is a list of common migraine/headache triggers. Great info to have. Other than that, prescriptions are the only thing that work with mine:(

mconnoll

Answer by mconnoll at 12:44 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I suffer from premenstral migraines and have to resort to prescriptions. I also take an anti-seizure med every night that works as a preventitive. Like mconnoll posted before me every person's migraines are different and must be handled ona patient to patient basis,
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 1:05 AM on May. 27, 2011

• i get migraines all of the time n i have to take excedrin but if it extremely severe u can always go to the doctor n ask for a perscription called imitrex
    aleyjahsmom2010

Answer by aleyjahsmom2010 at 1:39 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Magnesium can help; it fends off the blood vessel spasms and pain of a migraine by preventing platelet aggregation which helps to avoid the thickened blood and tiny clots that cause blood vessel spasms. Magnesium also relaxes muscles so it can help alleviate pain by relaxing muscle tension in the head and neck. If your levels are low, and it is estimated that most people are deficient, you don't have enough mag in your system to counteract the clotting action of calcium on the blood (calcium and mag are both needed in proper ratios for optimal health) and the clots clog up tiny brain blood vessels, leading to migraines. Low brain magnesium also promotes neurotransmitter hyperactivity and nerve excitation which lead to headaches. When I develop headaches, I reach for magnesium and not OTC painkillers, though I rarely experience headaches anymore because I supplement daily w/mag.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I'm on topomax and that seems to really help. I tried magnesium and and that didn't help at all.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 9:52 AM on May. 27, 2011

• BC Powder or Excedrin Migraine
    emerald2

Answer by emerald2 at 11:07 AM on May. 27, 2011