• In the Spotlight:

Do you/did you wipe your baby at every diaper change?

My friend says its not necessary to wipe at every diaper change....I disagree. If that's true then why would you wipe yourself after going to the bathroom? The only time I don't wipe them is if they are going straight to the bath.

Charmedmommy82

Asked by Charmedmommy82 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i always wipe my dd know matter what
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• yes
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 9:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• it is necessary because they could get really bad diaper rashes which causes them to be in pain
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 9:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i didnt wipe my daughter a couple times and she got a bad rash so now i always remember
    Anonymous

• Nope. Urine is totally sanitary - at least baby urine is for sure. Too much wiping can also irritate. I wipe myself after going to the bathroom because I drip and don't need wet undies. I expect dh to wipe because I don't want him near me even if it is sanitary - lol! Babes aren't ever wet enough to have that when changing. If they're really wet (like in the morning) I might pat them dry.
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 9:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Yes every diaper change should involve a cleaning the baby. I also clean my baby before a bath as to not dirty up the water the moment they get in.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Nope I only wipe him if he is poopy
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i have always wiped because even thought the urine is sterile, it is still a warm, moist, and dark breeding ground for bacteria. There is bacteria everywhere. Urine is also acidic so if you wipe it off u actually have less chances of diaper rash. By the way neosprin works great for diaper rash i usually would put that on then vasoline. The few time my dughter did have a rash when she was sick it cleared it up over night
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I don't always use wipes, but I always clean DS at diaper changes. Sometime I just use a warm damp wash cloth because baby wipes can irritate a rash. DS hasn't gotten any diaper rashes yet (knock wood), but when he gets a little red I stop using wipes and go with wash clothes.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i wipe my DD at every changing, except when we are out in public. those bathrooms can be so gross, i just want to get her in & out. not wiping once a week isnt going to cause a rash. i did have to get onto my mom for not wiping my DD everytime cause she was only wiping w/ poopys.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2008