How do i stop by two year old from being a bully?

My two year old son is a bully to his cousin. He kicks, hits, spits at, pushes and takes toys away from him. I have tried slapping the hand, spanking, tapping him on the mouth and just plain talking to him about being mean and nothing helps. I'm about at my wits end on what to do...

Slademom09

Asked by Slademom09 at 1:47 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what about time outs? have you tried that?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes I have tried time outs. Sat him on the couch, in the corner, in the room, etc. He is stubborn and hard headed.
    Slademom09

Comment by Slademom09 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I don't believe violence will cure violence. So spanking him won't teach him not to hit.

Take his toys away. Give his toys away.

When he starts bullying, remove him from the situation and pay extra attention to his cousin. Play with him, tell him what a good boy he is.

Your son will get jealous and maybe get the hint. If he doesn't get the hint, he will run out of toys from you giving them away and he won't have a playmate.

My son is stubborn and hard headed, too and these things worked with him.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 2:15 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Thank you marybeth. I don't much care for the spanking either. I didn't really know what else to do. I'll try what you suggested though and see what happens. Thanx again. :-)
    Slademom09

Comment by Slademom09 (original poster) at 2:23 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Let us know how it works.

The extra attention to the injured kid always worked the best here because my son is a mama's boy. He hates it when I play or talk to another kid. So he would cry and cry and I would just tell him "I only play with nice little boys. I don't like little boys that hurt people." He would straighten right up and tell me he would play nice. Then just make sure you play with him and tell him what a good boy he is being when he is playing nice.

marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 2:59 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My son is also a mama's boy so maybe it'll work with him too LOL.
    Slademom09

Comment by Slademom09 (original poster) at 3:04 AM on May. 27, 2011

• first dont spank, it only encourages more hitting..
    two.. if he hits give the other child the toy they were fighting over. then separate the two. at 2 years old he doesnt fully understand his emotions so he needs to learn yet how to express them.. lead by example at home, no yelling in front of him or at him. when they fight, the best thing to do is just separate the two, give them their own space for a good half hour to let them settle down.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:37 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I'd be a little iffy about paying extra special attention to the cousin as that can cause jealousy and make the violence toward him even worse. Removing your child and checking on the cousin as if to say "Are you okay? Jessie shouldn't have done that" and then focus on your son again. Toddlers go into rages and, of course have no control over their emotions. It takes time to learn that control... I have a feeling this is a phase, but if he can't be trusted not to hurt his cousin, perhaps they should not play toget for awhile
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:47 PM on May. 27, 2011