Items for a c-section recovery kit

I'm thinking of putting one together since I know a lot of women who will be giving birth in the next year. Just some backround I'm the only one out of my family and friends who has ever had a c-section(Well ok my Mother's stepsister but we're not exactly close).So because I'm the only one I feel the need to help since I've been there and while the older ladies at church who had had one were very helpful with both helping with meals and making me feel like less of the odd man out,I still felt very alone because I was the only one in the family.

So I would like to help by making maybe a kit and probly taking a meal(ok I'll probly still take a meal over even if it's not a section). But what do you think about a c-section kit? My recovery went pretty easily so all I can think of at the current moment is making them a scar pillow but what would you guys put in one and do you think the pillow would be a good idea?
Finally I might make a kit for just being a new mom recovering from labor. What would you guys put in that?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:51 AM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I like the idea of a "recovering mother" kit, c-section or vaginal. People tend to forget about the mother and devote all the attention and gifts to the newborn.

I've never heard of a scar pillow. What is it?

What about a tube of Mederma scar ointment for your c-section pack?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:57 AM on May. 27, 2011

• The scar pillow was just a small pillow to brace your scar with as you get up,cough,sneeze,anything that might cause discomfort in your abdominal muscles. I got one from the hospital that a volunteer made but I know that not all the hospitals around here provide then.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 2:01 AM on May. 27, 2011

• What a fantastic idea! I've had 6 kids, two by c-sec, but I can't think of much to add to like a kit or gift box. Help with housework would've been nice!! Hmm, let me think... For any new Mom, I suppose some pampering type things would be nice. Her body has just done a most amazing thing, and deserves some physical pampering, especially as she's likely to still be feeling bloated and not very sexy, but yet her body has just done something so beautiful. So some bath salts, moisturizers, that sort of thing, could be nice regardless of the delivery type. Hair-care and face cream type items maybe. She'll likely be tired and facing months more of being tired, so yeah, some support is such a perfect idea..
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:41 AM on May. 27, 2011

• When I had my first one of the ladies at my shower gave me some aromatherapy items. I think they were lavender? It was for relaxation anyway. It had a candle, lotion and bath oil - along with a sweet note about how I needed to make sure I took at least a little time for myself.
    I've had 2 csections but can't thing of anything to add to a care pack - my vaginal births were way worse recovery wise than my csections!

Answer by missanc at 8:02 AM on May. 27, 2011