How much child support do you get for one child?

Im asking because my husband pays child support to his ex wife a total $380 amonth, i myself dont think its enough but it was court ordered.

In nevada its ment to be 18% of what u earn but can be changed if other kids are involed,
me and my husband have 3 children together so it has lowered the amount by more than half also the judge took into account that we are paying for medical insurance and that they both have joint custody.

18% of what my husband earns would almost be $1000 amonth, should my husband do a modiforcation or does the amount sound right??
his ex keeps saying its unfair that her c/s was lowered but it was all done through the courts.

gem05

Asked by gem05 at 3:30 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• If you feel it's the right thing to do you can always give her more. You don't need a court to give permission to give extra, but with joint custody that amount sounds fair to me. Btw, I think it's great you're not on here complaining about her getting CS at all:)
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:07 AM on May. 27, 2011

• yes i always give her more he's my son too after 10 years of helping raising him and i so agree with child support, my mother raised me by herself did not get any c/s i saw my father maybe 3-4 times ayear on his terms.

before child support was court ordered he was paying her $500 amonth, it was not untill i became pregnant with my first baby she went the legal way thinking she could get more but it was less. The judge said we have to take everything in to count she was not happy i do really see her point but on the other hand whatever our son needs we take care of it.

she and her partner are working too so money isnt the real issue.

gem05

Comment by gem05 (original poster) at 4:39 AM on May. 27, 2011

• It sounds right... I don't think it is 18% per kid outside of a single child with no other factors.. that's probably the baseline starting point. So, it's been adjusted to cover other expenses like insurance, travel etc and who gets tax exemption.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 7:05 AM on May. 27, 2011

• We paid $400 a month plus insurance, plus didn't get to claim sd on taxes. On top of that we bought her tons of clothes, ect.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:47 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I get $500 and its not enough.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:58 AM on May. 27, 2011

• my ex pays $600 for one and he refuses to buy anything else not even a card because he says I have all his money
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:08 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I get $1,040/mo but that's for two kids. He also covers them on his insurance.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:02 PM on May. 27, 2011

• whatever my stepson needs besides my husband paying c/s we either share in the costs or pay for the whole thing eg clothes, football gear, school supplys plus half of any medical expenses. Plus we have him the whole summer June, july and two weeks august through that time she still gets her c/s paid in full and my husband gets nothing only his son.

gem05

Comment by gem05 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on May. 27, 2011

• That's plenty enough, especially since he has joint custody.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Wow :( I live in Massachusetts and I only get 75 a week which comes out to 300 a month and my sons dad gives me a hard time saying I shouldn't even get that. We didn't go to court it's just the amount he's decided to give me.....
    Februarymom2009

Answer by Februarymom2009 at 10:53 PM on May. 27, 2011