Knitting question

Ok so I decided to knit a baby blanket, it has a honeycomb pattern as the baby's room is winnie the pooh themed. I just finished and I think it's too small tell me what you think. It's 15 inches wide and 25 inches length. Should I stitch on a border? If so any patterns for me?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 3:38 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Yes, that is a little small (35" x 50" is pretty standard). You might want to add at least a 5" border around it. You can use any stitch pattern that has the same gauge as your main pattern -- as long as it doesn't tend to curl. I like to use a seed (k1, p1) or moss stitch (k2, p2) for nice flat borders (k into every P and P into every K).

I don't know how fast you knit, or how much time you needed to make the 15x25 blanket, but if you have the time, it might be simpler to unravel and start over with 2x the stitches.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:22 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i have a bad shoulder and this is for an order I have I sell my knitted wears but since they are my first customer I am going to give them tis as a freebie. So I will look for 5 inch borders thnx :)

rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 3:44 PM on May. 27, 2011

• ok now I need help finding borders lol, I google but not much comes up
    a book pops up though 50 fabulous knitted borders
    rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 4:06 PM on May. 27, 2011

• If you plan to add a knitted border, there are 2 ways you can do it: 1) pickup your stitches along the edges of your blanket, and knit the border directly onto the blanket . 2) Knit the border as a separate piece, and sew or crochet it onto the blanket.

If you do the latter, your corners could be tricky. I would (for ease) recommend using a tactic borrowed from quilting and knit the sides directly onto the blanket. Start with what was the bound-off edge of your blanket and pickup the same number of stitches you worked with before. Knit an even seed stitch (easy and very flat edge). When you have 5", bind off. Repeat on the opposite edge (where you cast on originally). Turn the work to the side and pickup stitches from the edge of your border, across the blanket to the end of your other border. Work 5" and bind off. Repeat on the other side. I hope this helps. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:34 PM on May. 27, 2011

• FYI:  This picture shows a piece with a seed stitch border -- it was probably knitted as the piece was done, but the look is the same.  GL   :-)

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:38 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I have tried knitting the edging on the blanket but it seems I messed up somehow lol so how would I go about sewing it on? or crocheting it on? I don't know how to crochet.
    rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 11:41 PM on May. 27, 2011

• If you are going to sew a border on, you would have to knit it first, then, with the same yarn and a blunt-tip yarn needle, hand sew it to the blanket.

Since you are not experienced in the skills needed to add a border, you would probably be best off if you take your project to a yarn or craft shop, and have someone (experienced) show you how to do it.

(Sorry for the slow reply...I was out of town for the weekend.) GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:25 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I actually learned how to crochet so I'm making a border that way and OMG is it so easy lol. I always had a problem when my gma was trying to teach me but now that I can knit it's easy to crochet :)
    rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 10:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Terrific! I'll bet a whole world of options has now opened up to you. Great! :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011