Potty-training........I have decided I just cannot handle it, I cannot do it and I won't do it! Now what?

It is too stressfull for me. The couple of times I have attempted with my son who will be 3 in July over the last year and a half have been wayyyy to stressfull for me! For a short time he was peeing when I actually felt like taking him ALL THE WAY DOWNSTAIRS (we live and spend most of our time in an attic space) in his potty, but I got tired of running up and down the steps. I also have OCD and get super angry and annoyed with him when he did not go right away! I do not want to make my problems his problems, that is not fair to him at all. I want him to be potty-trained so badly but it is just easier to let him go in his diaper, so I don't have to deal with it. I have decided that I just simply CANNOT do it!!! He also has been in therapy for quite a while for a major speech delay, he cannot tell me when he goes or even tries to let me know in any way shape or form. I have read multiple articles on the subject and watched videos and whatnot but none of it seems relevant to our specific situation. I know all about rewarding and praising and all that crap, I understand and know all the signs of readiness too!!! I am just simply DONE with it, it makes me too angry and frustrated and he does not need or deserve that while he attempting to master this skill (I know!!!)! I am just being honest here as usual! I honestly am not even sure what my exact question is, I suppose it is something like "is there a professional potty-trainer, can I pay someone to potty-train my son? (not that we can afford it by any stretch whatsoever). I just know that I CANNOT DO IT and completely and totally give up and never ever want to try it again EVER, EVER!!! I love my son way too much to even try!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 3:42 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't give up on something like potty training!

3 day potty training...maybe look into that.

Can you keep the potty upstairs and just bring it down leisurely to empty it (so it's not a mad dash to get there?)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I tried to potty train my firstborn before he was ready and went through all that you describe. It was frustrating to the point of me really pulling my hair out. Exactly how you describe feeling. I since had a total of 6 kids and have learned to just wait until they want to learn. Makes it SO much easier when they are older. When the kid is 3 at least, they have good control of body functions and can communicate easily. They are aware of the social implications of potty/toilet usage and may even go straight to the big toilet, cutting out that whole potty mess completely. The worst I found was the waiting because he'd say he needed to go, but then he'd just sit there. So if you take him to the toilet or potty, also take a book to read or something to do. If you expect to wait, you will be less impatient. Good luck. ((hugs))
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I have thought about bringing the potty upstairs and even tried that for a few days but he just played with it and kept getting up and flipping the lid up and down which started to bug me, so I quit. I do not want to yell at him! I know that it needs to be a stress free and good.....if not fun thing for him and I just get too frustrated! I am usually a VERY patient person, but my OCD means that I NEED things to be quick and efficient or I get stressed out and angry!
    truthteller0722

Comment by truthteller0722 (original poster) at 3:53 AM on May. 27, 2011

• its not something to give up on, otherwise your child will be going to school in diapers, its a struggle for most people but we get through it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Why are you giving up?? Potty training.is a struggle but it will happen. Keep encouraging him when he goes. It will make him want to go again. Every kid is different. Yes it can be fustrating. I'm currently going through this stage with my 2 yr old. But remember he is learning. He is new to this this. Just have alittle more patients.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 6:37 AM on May. 27, 2011

• It has to be done. He will not potty train himself you know?
    Do this,,,,when you go potty, bring him and put him on the toilet.

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I agree with judimary. Wait awhile longer. He needs more time especially with the speech delay. But please find the patience when it is time. It can go quickly once he is ready and you have the time and patience. GL!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:30 AM on May. 27, 2011

• He's not even 3, there is no rush., Wait 6 months if you want. When you are ready, take 3 days to concentrate on it. 'That is all it will take. Put him in underwear only. Take him every 1/2 hour the first day. Every hour the second. By day 3 he will be trained. He will have a lot of accidents the first day, stay positive. Make sure you have enough undies. I went through 12 pairs the first day!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:36 AM on May. 27, 2011

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:52 AM on May. 27, 2011

• That's a great attitude to have. You're going to deal with much tougher situations with you're child throughout his life, are you going to give up then too?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:56 AM on May. 27, 2011