What's the best way to cut down everday expenses that are un-necessary?

nancyliza

Asked by nancyliza at 6:06 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I ordered a bank statement and went through it and highlighted everything I was over spending on and could do without then budgeted for the next month. In my opinion budgetings probably the best thing you can do when trying to cut down, it helps to know what you can spend on each thing.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 6:24 AM on May. 27, 2011

• By posting your credit card statement on every inch of your wall. This way you'd have a reminder of what to expect next after indulging. People don'y realize how much they spend until the credit csrd balance hits them. I know that my response to your question is not something you were looking for.Sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Scrutinize your bills and keep track of every penny you spend for a period of 2 or 3 months; you'll see pretty quickly where your money is going. Eliminate what is not absolutely necessary, and cut back elsewhere, even if it's just a few dollars here and there. I did this when I first got pregnant 18 years ago because I wasn't sure if we could live off one paycheck if I chose not to go back to work. I did go back to work but realized that even with a new baby, we could live off my husband's salary alone (and his salary was the smaller of the two) so 100% of my paycheck went straight into savings from that point on. We still live off one paycheck and that 18 year old of mine is off to college this fall; both his college and my DD's college accounts are fully funded, not to mention our house has been paid off for several years and we have built up a sizable nest egg for retirement. It can be done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Start by making a list of things you/family spends money on daily. Then see what can be cut out. In the home-- go around the house and cut off lights. Turn the AC up a little.

Answer by louise2 at 6:58 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Dont go anywhere unless you need to. My car is broken down right now and I have never saved more money. I dont pay for gas, I dont go shopping while dh is at work, and I am able to cut down on when I go to the grocery store. Make your own coffee instead of paying for it. Cut down on cable by getting rid of channels you dont watch. Get rid of your cell phone if you stay home like I do. No need for it. Things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 7:53 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Get a little notebook where you write down every little thing you buy, even if it's a gumball. Also, leave your credit & debit cards at home & only use cash, preferably small bills. It's a lot harder to hand over 10 $1 bills then it is to swipe a card.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 7:57 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Stop shopping at Wal-Mart, instead of trips throughout week do all running in one day. You're tired but done.
    JAMom07

Answer by JAMom07 at 7:59 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I agree with Verrine- if you write down every little thing you spend money on for a week, you'll see that that $1.50 cup of coffee adds up if you buy one every day, and you'll realize you can make your own for MUCH cheaper(just an example). Convenience items are a big drain on the wallet too. Just keep an eye on what you're spending and you'll be able to see where all your money goes and stop spending accordingly. HTH
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• little things can add up, pack your lunch, make your own coffee, get a reusable water bottle.....Make your own household cleaner buy using your empty spray bottle and filling it half way with water and the rest with white vinegar (yep thats all you need), plant a veggie garden or shop at U-pick farms and farmers markets (www.localharvest.org), make your own laundry detergent. A 6 month, chemical free batch costs about $3.25 to make. Give up cable and watch shows online, give up a cell phone,
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:06 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Use natural cleaners like baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, etc they are much cheaper. Someone posted a great article on here a while back on cleaning w/ peroxide as well (much cheaper). Use bar soap instead of body wash. Wait until you have a full load to wash clothes and dishes (you save on soap, water, and electricity) or hang your clothes on the clothes line and save the dryer for special circumstances. Shop for what's on sale and use coupons.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:16 AM on May. 27, 2011