Attending a birthday tomorrow but...

I have no money for a real gift. DH paycheck was once again crap. There is enough to pay the 3 bills that are due. Period. I will be grocery shopping out of savings again. I can spent like $5 out of the savings and not feel terrible about it or I can not go to the party. What do you think. the kid is turning 2. I was thinking a book.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes a book would be fine. Or you can Go to the dollar tree and get a couple of coloring books and crayons, or bubbles.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Go to the dollar store and get a coloring book and crayons.

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• A book or a toy, can find plenty for 5$. I am sure child will love it.
    JAMom07

Answer by JAMom07 at 8:04 AM on May. 27, 2011

• yea $5 is plenty enough ! DOLLAR STORE is a wonderful place!!! :)
    like said above..coloring books crayons :)
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:16 AM on May. 27, 2011

• For a child who is going to be 2? oh yeah dollar tree! GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 10:23 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I agree that paper & crayons & bubbles are all likely to be fun for a 2-year-old, and inexpensive. I've never given a young toddler a coloring book & my kids tend to use scrap paper (brought home from dad's work) or cheap drawing/doodle/sketch pads (also actual sketch books but those tend to cost a little more.)

Maybe sand toys w/ a bucket & shovel? My twin boys (2 years) ADORE their basic (not the bubble kind) cheap ($6) push lawnmowers.

Of course a book is a great idea, but if I were gifting a book I would want it to be a nice/quality book (one that I would actually enjoy reading multiple times to MY kids!) not just something random. That might limit you around price or selection.

My first thought as a suggestion was to look up some recipes for homemade play dough & make a big batch. I think that would be a winner! You can color it or not. Package in something airtight (lidded is ideal but a Ziploc would work in a pinch.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:47 AM on May. 27, 2011