When they hit 3 does an emotional button get pressed or something? (PIOG)

My girl turned 3 last saturday, and it seems she's crying about everything and ANYTHING. She dropped her cheese on the chair. I opened the back door to take trash out without telling her. (Normally she'd not even notice!) She asks for one snack but when I give it to her she seems to have forgotten she asked for it and thinks she asked for something else and melts down. (UGH!!!) The smallest detail she wouldn't have even cared about before suddenly is reason to burst into tears... for a LONG TIME. How do I deal with this? Is there a hormonal thing going on??

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 8:30 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 y/o is going through the same thing. When she goes into meltdown mode, I send her to her room, tell her to cry it all out and come back to me when she finds her big girl words. It works for us. This is a phase, it will pass. I hope!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:35 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I mean she BAWLED yesterday when I got her baby sister out of the car, shut the door and walked around to her side to get her out so we could go in the store, she was upset because she felt like she was locked in & I was leaving her. She KNOWS better!!!
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:41 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I mean she was FINE when I shut the door after getting baby sister out, and tears streaming down her face by the time i got to the other side of the car.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:42 AM on May. 27, 2011

• She's NEVER been like this, she's the sweetest girl with the BIGGEST heart. I don't know what's wrong... and she's gotten so CLINGY lately!!! Baby sis has been in our lives almost 4 months, and she's JUST NOW getting clingy?? I don't think it's baby sis anxieties. She loves her to death...
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:44 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Four months is still pretty recent for a big change, so I wouldn't rule out feelings about that being displaced. But the good news is you don't really have to diagnose & know for sure that "this is about that." You can just accept that your sweet girl is going through some stuff & having big responses.
    If I were going to guess, I would say that it's probably likely that your response to her upsets has prompted some defensiveness (or insistence) in her. Getting upset over "nothing" is a way that children off-load big feelings that are hard to name or talk about, and that they haven't been able to process or express yet. It can be perplexing or even infuriating to us as caring adults in their lives, especially if we assume that we need to "fix" things that go wrong, or if we feel more accepting of upsets that seem legitimate or make sense to us (and feel less accepting of things they "should" be able to handle.) But when we are
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:46 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Actually baby sis anxiety makes perfect sense to me. Think about this. When Baby Sis came into your lives she ate, slept and cried, that was about it. Today she is probably smiling, cooing, laughing, rolling, maybe sitting or beginning to crawl. She is interacting with people and starting to show her own personality. It makes sense that Big Sis is a bit anxious.

Try to find ways to involve her. Like when getting them both out of the car, give her your purse and ask her to please hold your purse while you get the baby out. Then praise her for being so helpful.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 8:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2011