A girls night out.. How important is it?..

My daughter is about 4 and a half months old.. and I havent been out at all.. I mean besides with my husband.. I kinda feel guilty thinking of going out without him and /or Emma.. I feel like since I starting working from home while pregnant and having my daughter I have become a hermit.. any advice on how often I should find time for myself ...and/or how I can break this vicious cycle of being a hermit ??? Please help!!

sticking out tongue

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 8:39 AM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Whether it's important or not is really a personal thing. Do you feel like you need the time? Forget need. Do you WANT the time? There's nothing at all wrong with taking it. Nothing. At. All. Parenting is a 24/7 job but that doesn't mean you're wrong to let Dad take the reigns (or grandparent, trusted sitter, etc) and get out without baby in tow.

My kids are now almost 9 and 6. I get out to dinner with a friend about a once a month or every other month depending on our schedules. As a Girl Scout leader I also get out for meetings about once a month. Sometimes the other leaders I'm friends with and I will do dinner out. Once a year my mom, my daughter (now 6 1/2) and I go on a 'girl trip" together - just an overnight. In the fall my mom and I go away for a three day weekend. DH and the kids enjoy their time together. I enjoy my time too and yet I LOVE coming back to them for the big hugs and cuddles!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:08 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I know I look forward to mine! We used to try to do a girl's nite out once a month but we're all busy moms and "life" often got in the way of trying to do it that often. We now get together about every 3 months (though there have been a couple of times where it's gone as long as 9 months) and we do so enjoy it! Since we don't together as often, we do make sure we schedule enough time to catch up ... we are 4 very chatty girls with lots going on!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My daught is four months, and since Im single, I havnt gone out at all!! You deffintly need to go and see your friends and have a life. As long as you do it in moderation, its healthy for the whole family.
    Gracie_Kayy

Answer by Gracie_Kayy at 9:14 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My oldest is 5. Where I live I have no close friends... just dh's friends and their catty gfs. I think I have been out once witout the kids and dh.
    If you have the opportunity to go out TAKE IT! Personally I think once a week with hubby and once a month with the girls is more than acceptable. Take whatever you can get, cuz let me tell you, I am miserable at home by myself all day, and miserable staying in doing nothing every night
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I actually started thinking about it today..My husband is going to a baseball game with his friends. So I was thinking hmmm I would like to do that.. (not a baseball game persay.. ) It is very hard with everyones schedules trying to plan something.. I am gonna work on it!! Thanks again!! :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 8:58 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I have been married for 16 years and never had a "girls night out". For me it wasn't ever something I needed. My husband goes out with the guys, but most of the women I meet are catty and gossips, not the kind of people I want to spend time with. I actually enjoy hanging out with my kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I try to get out once every few months even if it is to have lunch with a friend--sometimes we have a kid with us just depends on whether we could get out with out them. I have one and she has three
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:27 AM on May. 27, 2011