Car seats

How did you transition your car seats?

For example: Did you use an infant car seat, then convertible, then booster seat?

What age/weight did you face them forward?

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 9:01 AM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• with my first son, he was in his infant seat for almost 6 months before he outgrew the weight for it, but my second son was out of his infant seat at almost a year. my daughter was same as second son, she didnt outgrow her infant seat until she was almost a year old as well. after the infant seats we switched them to the convertible car seats. my oldest son is now 8 and no longer in a car seat, but my 5 yr old sits in his booster. the daughter will b 2 shortly and she is still in the convertible care seat. the newest addition is not yet 2 weeks old but he was a premie so we think he will b in his infant seat for a tad longer than others were. but all three were facing forward by their first year. new carseat guidelines say to keep them rearfacing until they are 2 tho. but you know your kids better than anyone. if you feel they are ready for front facing or next size up dicuss with your doctor and see what they say.
    hnaused2010

Answer by hnaused2010 at 9:12 AM on May. 27, 2011

• We used an infant seat until he was 8 months, then moved him to a rear facing convertable seat. Now he is FF in the convertable seat.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:17 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I used an infant seat first with both of mine, then a rear-facing convertible when they outgrew it. I turned my first around forward-facing at about 18 months, only because the back seat of the car we were driving wasn't big enough for the convertible seat we had. But when he was 3.5, he started wanting to sit in his sister's rear-facing seat, and he was still within the weight/height limits, so when we had to get a new car and car seats, we just put them both rear-facing. My oldest will be 4 in a couple of weeks, and my second just turned 2 last month, and both are rear-facing.

General recommendation for forward-facing, based on safety info, is when they outgrow the rear-facing limits of the seats you have. Most convertible seats go up to at least 35 lbs rear-facing, and they're too tall when the top of their head is within in inch of the top of the hard shell.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:22 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My DD was put into a convertible seat at 1. She hadn't quite outgrown her infant seat but it was much more difficult to get her in and out of. I just couldn't see leaving her there until she was 2 which is when she hit the height and weight limit for the infant seat. The convertible seats that we have didn't fit well in out cars rear facing so we turned her around. She has been forward facing for almost 2 years now and loves to see what is outside the window.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:21 AM on May. 27, 2011