Has anyone had a problem with leaking or gushing fluid from your incision after having a c section?

I had my first c section with my fourth child last Tuesday. Friday they realized the incision was infected, so they kept me and dosed me with a high dose of antibiotics. I was able to go home on Sunday. Last night, I took my shower and we were cleaning the incision like always and a hole opened and a gush of reddish fluid poured out of the incision. I called the on call center at the doctors office, When they finally called me back, they said drain it and cover it and make appt for follow up. What is this stuff and why does it happen? Is it a bigger problem than they make it seem??

hnaused2010

Asked by hnaused2010 at 9:06 AM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've had 2 csections but the incision never got infected. It's probably not a huge big deal, but do make that follow up appt.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:12 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I dont know honey but it sounds like maybe you need to go back to the ER or go see your OB today if you can. Good luck , hope its nothing serious

Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:13 AM on May. 27, 2011

• i had an appointment already for today to get incision checked. it doesnt hurt thankfully and alot of the pressure and sweeling went with the fluid, but i still cant move much without it leaking lol. when doc lets me know what it is, i will post it. some of the online resources ive looked into call it a "seroma", its a fluid pocket that forms over healing tissue.
    hnaused2010

Comment by hnaused2010 (original poster) at 9:32 AM on May. 27, 2011

• It was lymph fluid mixed with blood. That is to be expected from an infection, and the hole is from the infection dissolving the stitches faster than you could heal. Neither thing is necessarily a bad sign, but they definitely warrant a visit to the doctor, so don't skip it. And if you have any pain, fever, weakness or foul smell from the incision or your lochia see a doctor immediately.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:33 AM on May. 27, 2011

• didnt have stitches. had 15 staples. they took them out the third day. after that they put on steri strips to pull tissue together and they left it taped for past week. pain and fever is a no go. im still on antibiotics from the original infection so hoping it isnt too bad
    hnaused2010

Comment by hnaused2010 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on May. 27, 2011