Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Landlord replace food?

I am going to try to make this as short as possible. I have been having issues with my rental. My landlord is a major DIY guy..but his work is crappy at best. The floor in the kitchen is sloping really bad (any thing put by the back door on wheels will roll all the way to the living room)...Seems like when he tiled it he didnt care..either way my fridge has been opening up...and last night no one was home til late..hubby got home and EVERYTHING in the fridge was warm! I lost a bunch of food that I cant afford to replace! I am going to call my landlord and see what she says. I am completely heart broken! Any advice? if all goes well (which isnt likely) I am praying she will allow me to hold onto a little of the rent to replace atleast the basics!!

Answer Question

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 9:35 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 19 (7,070 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • I doubt it,sorry

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:36 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • It would be nice but I also don't see it happening. Look for a local food bank in your area and contact them. They will be able to at least get you a few things together until someone gets paid again.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 9:37 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • That would be nice of her, but it is not her responsibility. Usually the fridge isn't going to open up, even on a sloping floor. Do you have small children? Could one of them have left it open, or not closed it tightly enough and so it opened back up? It doesn't hurt to ask, but I'm a landlord myself and I couldn't afford to let you keep the rent. I charge a smidge more than the mortgage, and with the repairs and upkeep of the place I don't make a dime.

    Answer by Ati_13 at 9:38 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • Place something under your fridge in the front to raise it and keep it level. If your fridge is unlevel the cooling system in it won't work right anyway. You want something strong and dense, no cardboard or anything that will smash under the weight. Maybe some of the lumber from the guy "fixing" your house. Make sure it goes all the way across the front in one piece so that you don't have to worry about instability.


    Answer by scout_mom at 9:40 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • It is not the landlords responsiblity to replace the food, but you might get lucky and have a softy. Have you told the landlord this happens before now? I would look into getting a fridge lock or making the fridge level somehow by propping some wood under the front. Until the sloping fridge is fixed this will keep happening. That being said most fridges have doors that stay shut very well and would not fly open from a little slope in the floor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • After the whole situation we went through moving in and how reluctant he was to do ANYTHING I havent really called them for much, I did call them when a pipe busted under the kitchen sink, and he questioned me like I made it happen!! So I dont complain much. They havent done anything they promised they would...and its frustrating..but I am in tears trying to replace the food...I figured I would call her to let her know the fridge isnt staying closed well any more. I dont store anything heavy in the door..

    And no my kids werent home to have gone in the fridge, they were at grandmas...I figure I can try to see what she says all she can say is sorry and not help me! Thanks ladies!

    Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 9:55 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • That's what renters insurance is for. Works like homeowners, but it's for renters - and doesn't cover the house, just your belongings - including food. It's not the landlord's responsibility to replace your food - but if you had renters, they would. So if you have it, go to them, if you don't, you might want to look into it. It's really cheap - I paid $15/month when I rented.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • Typically when power goes out in our area the power company will help replace food if the power has been out for more than 8 hours during the day. I would call and ask and if they don't call the housing authority and see if there is something that can be done.

    Answer by coala at 11:09 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • I meant ask your landlord not the power company. I was just using that as an example.

    Answer by coala at 11:10 AM on May. 27, 2011

  • If you have renter's insurance that would replace your food. I doubt your landlord will, they'll probably claim you guys forgot to shut the fridge door or something.

    Answer by slw123 at 12:22 PM on May. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.