Birthday Party on a Budget

Okay so we have a tight budget and our families always do birtday parties where food is served. I usually do sloppy joes or pizza, but I want something different this year. In laws just did simple sandwiches so I don't want that, but I want it cheap. Help! Any recipe ideas out there ladies?

aeneva

Asked by aeneva at 9:46 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• you can go to walmart and buy a few 12 inch subs, they're $5 each, and slice into finger-food size portions. buy a tray of pre-cut fruits and vegetables. make miniature pigs in blankies using lil smokies and crescent roll dough. i know a good dip on the back of the rotel can. 1 can rotel, 1 block velveeta cheese, 1 lb hamburger meat. brown the meat then throw all the ingredients into a crockpot, cook on low til cheese is melted and everything's blended together and voila, a yummy cheese dip.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:49 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Can you grill? Burgers & hot dogs served with chips would be cheap. Cake and ice cream is a suitable dessert without requiring any further sweets.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I would do baked ziti - this is a recipe I have used but I add lightly sauteed eggplant, red peppers and zucchini to it. Ot you could use de-boned split chicken breast meat. serve it a salad of lettuce, tomato and carrots and garlic bread. Pretty cheap and kid friendly.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• LINK didn't work before huh...try again.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:51 AM on May. 27, 2011

• What about some foods from different cultures? That would be neat, and unexpected.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:55 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I like the ziti idea. I am making the cake of course and DH doesn't want to be grilling. I have most the stuff needed for the ziti in the house already! Since you have done the ziti do you think this would work in a crock pot so I don't need the oven on the day of the party?
    aeneva

Comment by aeneva (original poster) at 9:57 AM on May. 27, 2011

• You can make Baked Ziti. It probably costs $5 a pot to make and everyone liked it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:11 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Chili! 1 lb beef, 1 can pinto, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can corn, 1 can sliced tomato :) onion, garlic (powders if you cant blend the real thing) and season salt with a TON of ground red pepper (dont worry its not spicy) then double the recipie to what you need :) oh, and be sure to drain the fat when your done frying the beef. dont drain the beans but drain the corn and tomatos....
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 10:13 AM on May. 27, 2011

• crock pot would work.... but the cheese on top isn't going to be the same... maybe start in the crock pot then move to the oven for the cheese to brown on top OR bake the day before and then warm it and melt the cheese on top the day off. I do that all the time!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:54 AM on May. 27, 2011