Anyone else with really low blood ?

I will be 38 weeks tomorrow , and yesterday I had my check-up. My blood was an (Iron) was an 8.5... The doctor gave me a new Iron pill & seemedd really really worried about it. Now she has me really worried about it. I dont even wanna google it, im scared i'll see something horrifying and scare myself worse. Now she wants me to keep up with fetal movement since my iron is low.

Has anyone else had really low iron while this far along?

juniebug11

Asked by juniebug11 at 9:51 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Normmal, eat iron rich foods, stay active, take ur pills.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:57 AM on May. 27, 2011

• my problem wasnt my iron but my hemocrit was a 16, normal is around 40. i went in for emergency c section and had my son a month early. they ended up giving me a blood transfusion of 6 units, took over 14 hours to give me the blood. the hardest thing was dealing with them trying to find a vein to put iv in. with such a low blood count, my veins kept collapsing every time. they called 3 different iv teams before they found someone who could find a vein strong enough to support the needle. if i were u, i would research everything i could. at 38 weeks, u could deliver and the baby would b fine, as long as there are no serious problems with the baby! i wouldnt recommend a c section if it can b avoided but if your worried.... dicuss it! if you have questions your doc cant answer, get a second opinion
    hnaused2010

Answer by hnaused2010 at 9:57 AM on May. 27, 2011

• yes, my iron levels dropped to around 8 when i was pregnant with my 2nd. i had to go to the hospital for 5 consecutive days about an hour each day to have an iron IV drip. it wasn't painful or anything, just annoying and very boring. after that, i stopped chewing ice (which is apparently a big iron sucker), increased my vitamin c intake so my body could better absorb iron, and started eating iron rich foods and taking my prenatals religiously. no more iron issues after that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:58 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Not iron but I have gestational hypoglycemia, which is the oppposite of ges. diabetes. instead of high blood sugar mine is low so I just eat a little candy throughout the day!
    kpolitte

Answer by kpolitte at 10:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes, I eat ice like a crazy woman! I just started my new pills last night , and have tried to eat all the stuff on that paper. She said I might could get my iron levels up before birth so i wouldnt have to have a transfussion after birth. I really want everything to go well. Baby is head down ( we learned yesterday YAY!)
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on May. 27, 2011