For those who live paycheck to paycheck

What are your priorities? Not being judgemental... Just curious. I have people who work for me who live paycheck to paycheck...They have the latest computers, cell phones, gaming systems, go out every weekend, and all kinds of other stuff. Yet when it comes to chipping in for a shop function they have no money. I get phone calls because bills are NOT paid.  People who can't keep up with their work responsibilities because they spent the money on other things.  People who spent their clothing allowance on a new phone. 

My hubby and I make good money. We can afford all that stuff. But we don't buy it. We do have an XBox 360 and two laptops. We don't go out all the time. My cell phone is two years old and I bought it from someone else. His cellphone is a dumb phone. We pay our bills, feed our kid, and take care of ourselves for the future.

I know some people literally have to live paycheck to paycheck and I really feel for them. But why should I feel bad for those who have better tv's, phones, computers, game systems, and all that than I do. Why should I feel bad for those who don't know how to manage their money? or those who CONSISTANTLY make bad choices? Again...I know some people are in situations out of their control. And sometimes one bad choice leads to ruin. I feel bad then and will do what I can to help.

But don't try and make me feel bad because I make good money. I work hard and so does my husband.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:56 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• Not everybody makes the bad choices.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:59 AM on May. 27, 2011

• We live paycheck to paycheck. I have nothing. My clothes are 10 years old. I have a cellphone because I'm scared my car will break down or someone might try to kill me. Sounds crazy but it happens.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Rent-untilities-food-other bills(including cell phone and internet)- needs-wants

Sometimes the 'other bills' are skimped on or skipped if the 'needs' are urgent.

something is always behind-I won't lie. BUT we have no cable, one phone, no 'extras' like gym or clubs and the only reason we have internet is for applications/networking for jobs and hopefully school for DH if we ever get to where we can swing it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Our mortgage payment, insurances, groceries are first, other bills are next. Anything else comes after, if there's money left. Our cell phones are the most basic we can get, with the cheapest most basic plan. The only reason we have a computer is because DH needed it for work - the business (which he co-owns) bought it - and our internet is the wireless signal my IL's put up for us since we don't have a landline or any other way to get internet in this town. We live in a house half the size we need but have 2 reliable vehicles (necessary when you live 20 miles from any store or doctor/hospital & in Iowa winters). None of us have a whole lot of clothes, and very few shoes. We do have a Wii, but DH bought it by working a few hours for someone for a little extra cash, specifically to buy it. We only have the games that came with it though. We "go out" once a year if we're lucky and never have a vacation unless someone else pays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Which is why I said I know some people are in situations beyond their control..... This is directed towards those who don't manage their money and/or make bad choices. Please read the whole thing.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• We live paycheck to paycheck and why should I feel bad for providing my kids with game systems? TV's? Is that something only people who have more money deserve or something? My priorities are probably not all that different than yours. A roof over our heads, bills paid, cable, toys for my kids, clothes on their backs.

Answer by gemgem at 10:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I did read the whole thing thank you.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• who is asking you to feel bad for them? in my opinion, how others spend their money, frivolous or not, is their business only. as long as my family has what they need, my priorities are set and i don't go around meddling in the finances of others.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:05 AM on May. 27, 2011

• we live paycheck to paycheck.. first priority is always rent.. bills, cell phone, car payment not necessarily in that order.. basically is a one bill a week kinda thing, sometimes half a bill a week... and extra money gets spent for whatever... not that theres extra really.. but we pretty much blew half the income tax on all those things you mentioned.. tv phones game systems.. idk.. i spoil my kids when i have money and everything is paid...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 10:06 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Again.... You guys sound like you spend your money responsibly. I just finished talking to a kid who works for me. He has the newest Android phone, just bought a motorcycle, has a 60 inch television, every game system known to man, and can't pay his child support.. WTH?
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:06 AM on May. 27, 2011