Potty Trained or Not?

Okay. My son is turning 4 June 6th, 2011. He uses the bathroom like a big boy by day. And he's fine when he goes to bed. But every morning it seems that he pee's in his bed. For awhile he wasn't doing this. I don't know if he does it as soon as he wakes up. Or if he's doing it in his sleep. I'm tired of washing blankets every morning due to this. Does any one have any advise? Verses putting him back into pull ups?

Thr33kids

Asked by Thr33kids at 10:04 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let him sleep in pull ups. His body is not ready to go through the night yet. When he wakes up dry for 2 weeks, then let him sleep in undies. It could take years.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:08 AM on May. 27, 2011

• have you tried getting him up and taking him to the bathroom before you go to bed? i have to do this with my 4 and a half year old, or else she will wake up wet. and i refuse to put her in pull ups at her age and being potty-trained for 2 years, i tried that once and she started regressing. so now i take her to the bathroom (and help her with everything cause she's like a zombie at this hour) and she goes right back to bed, waking up dry every morning. it can take years for kids to learn to either wake themselves up if they need to go or hold it til morning, i myself didn't reach this milestone til i was 11 or 12
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:09 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My dd wet the bed until she was 5 1/2. We put her in pull ups each night. They are better than having to wash sheets everyday! Also, we put a waterproof mattress cover on her bed, just in case. She would keep water in her room for her to drink during the night, and we stopped that and it helped.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:09 AM on May. 27, 2011

• ok i had the worst time with my now 3 year old when i was trying to get him in big boy undies throughout the night. so heres what i did, and it took a bit of discipline. i would stay up till like 12 and go to his room wake him up slightly and have him go to the bathroom and try to use it, which he did like everytime. the most important part of this was you have to make him go, you cant pick him up and take him in there and aim it and all that jazz. you have to have him walk and aim at the very least you have to make him do that. The first few times it was a bit messy because i would tell him to aim give him a chance and then end up having to aim it for him. but as soon as i made him walk and do all that he was going to the bathroom at night by himself in not time. hope this helps and good luck
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 10:09 AM on May. 27, 2011

• also it ha been proven that the longer a child remains in diapers/pullups the higher their risk for uti's in the future.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 10:11 AM on May. 27, 2011

• He was dry for about six months from 3 years of age. and now3-6 months of accidents in the morning. He does go to the bathroom before bed. We just can't figure out why it's happening.
    Thr33kids

Comment by Thr33kids (original poster) at 10:15 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Has there been something drastic that has changed in your lives recently?

Also, my 5 1/2 year old daughter has accidents at night, but only if she's drank anything within 2 hrs of going to bed or forgets to go pee before bed (I always remind her). She had bladder reconstructive surgery when she was 4, and the doctor said this was normal for children who get that kind of surgery.

Could he be drinking too much before bedtime? I would try to limit drinks after a certain time, if you haven't, to see if that helps.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:55 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Try going in a half hour before he would normally wake up and taking him straight to the bathroom, that will at least tell you if he's doing it as soon as he wakes up, or during the night sometime. If it's the am, you might be able to catch it just by changing his routine. You could also try getting some chucks to go under him to help from having to wash sheets everyday, but I have no suggestions for the blankets.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:03 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I agree with Kimedbs, I would recommend getting up a lil bit early and taking them to the bathroom. Or, to see when it is actually happening, just on him periodically through the night. Wake him up and take him in the middle of the night if you must, but it might not be such a good idea if you do not think that they will fast right back asleep. If none of that helps, try the pull ups or pad thingys that you can place under him over the sheets. If he still has trouble over a while, talk to his doctor about it. There may be an underlying issue.
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 3:42 PM on May. 31, 2011

• First have him examined to see if there is a physical problem. I had trouble with my bladder till first or second grade. I even had accidents at school. Finally my mom took me to the dr, he gave me a shot (guess I had an infection) and the acidents ended.

Reduce liquids in the evening, wake him to go to the bathroom when you to bed and wake him alittle early.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 5:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2011