What do you think about teachers' decision not to take a one year pay freeze?

Teachers at a school district near me declined a one year pay freeze. Now, seventeen teachers will be laid off. They preferred buy outs for teachers close to retirement and replacement with newer, lower paid teachers.

happi-ladi

Asked by happi-ladi at 10:07 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it depends on your school district. Many teachers have no problem taking a pay freeze, in order to save jobs. Schools have been doing buy outs for many years now in order to save money However, in Long Island , May 18, 114 out of 124 school districts passed increased school budgets to keep our teachers. Nothing is more important than good education for our children and our country‚Äôs future.

Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 11:05 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Well, it's been my experience that the teachers who are close to retirement can usually go a few years early and it is only beneficial for everyone. I would rather have a new teacher than one that should have retired several years ago.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:15 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I would rather have a new teacher than one that should have retired several years ago.

Answer by scout_mom 54 minutes ago

New or old, we need good teachers. So the tenure system needs to change.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 11:14 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Sounds like very other industry...at least around here. Lay off the higher paid to get lesser paid and then lay them off and replace them eventually to....
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:10 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes, this sounds very familiar. Sell out the newer teachers so the tenured ones can keep their salaries and benefits at the higher rates. Like someone else said, it's not just teachers that do this...it's human nature.
    momk23

Answer by momk23 at 10:53 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Just more ME, ME, ME attitude.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Sounds like the Union is full of tenure teachers-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:39 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Everyone these days seems to be aiming at teacher's wages. What I want to know is, why in the world should teachers take pay cuts, etc. when the very people proposing these things are NOT taking any pay or perk cuts themselves....aren't they also state employees, employed by us, the population?
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:43 AM on May. 27, 2011

• It is never tge resonsibility of one employee to keep the jobs of others. If I don't want a cut in pay that is my right to exercise several options. 1) I can leave and look for a new job. 2) I can stay, have a pay decrease and resign after I found a new job. 3) I can take tge decrease. But I will always look out for my family financially first. If it is not financially doable of course I decline. So sorry, but my family is first. I expect no less from others. You are a fool to think differently. And 17 teacher salaries do not make up for one experienced teacher's pay. Two, maybe three. But unless she was the freakin best teacher on the planet she was not earning the equivalent of pay for 17 teachers. I love public schools...but cut the crap. Do not blame one teacher for budget short falls, perhaps unexpected or expected. But I my only responsibility is to my family.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:55 AM on May. 27, 2011

• this is happening everywhere now, getting rid of old timers and getting new employees that they don't have to pay as much. Is this fair not really but I do believe some people need to retire before they actually do, and they keep working for more money and maybe they want something to do, but I say if you can't handle the job anymore then get out!!
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:22 PM on May. 27, 2011