How to potty train a girl?

i have potty trained both of my boys already, they took only 3 days. but my girl is just starting and she is only 16 months. what tips and tricks are there towards girls vs boys? she likes the potty and has gotten the flushing part down. she does ok peeing in it too. not always but usually she doesnt have many accidents at all.

hnaused2010

Asked by hnaused2010 at 10:11 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'd wait. i have a hard time believing a 16 month old can grasp the true concept of potty training, it seems at this age they'd be training you when to take them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:12 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I let my LO flush ONLY if she does someting in the potty. I paint toe nails if she goes poop. She also thinks washing her hands is special so I use that as a reward for using the bathroom as well. When we first started I used a kitchen timer and set it for every 15 min and had her sit for 5. When we became consistent at using the bathroom at these intervals then I backed the timer up to every 20 min and sitting for 4 and so on. This worked really well until we moved and then she reverted. Now at almost 3 she is almost potty trained again all on her own.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:15 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I agree with first poster, I think she is too young which is why she isn't picking it up. I'd leave the potty out let her get familiar with it, if she wants to sit on it let her but leave it at that. Revisit again at 18 mos if she is really exhibiting signs of being ready. I think my daughter started about 18 mos and she took right to it. Be patient mama. The trick I did use was I had the Easter Bunny bring her a "Pretty Potty" with grass and eggs in the (new) bowl and glittery stickers - she was so excited to use her Pretty Potty. We also sang the Potty song and watched the video endlessly.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:18 AM on May. 27, 2011

• That is when I got potty trained, right around a year. Im not bashing but IMO a toddler should not be wearing a diaper anymore I think its just a way of keeping your child still young as long as you can! Just keep trying, do the timer it really works!!!
    kpolitte

Answer by kpolitte at 10:36 AM on May. 27, 2011

• she seems to grasp the idea fairly readily, she lets u know when she goes, but it after usually. on occasion, about once a day or two she catches herself before she goes and she has special cookies she gets when she can do it. when she lets us know she goes potty and needs a change, she gets her cheesy crackers. she is in pullups now and she loves that she can look down at it and see if the picture is gone or not lol
    hnaused2010

Comment by hnaused2010 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• you know, I keep hearing people say that boys are harder, but my brother was like that too.........one day he said he wanted to use the potty instead of diapers, way younger than my sister and I, and that was it.

No more diapers for him!

Has anyone else seen this or are boys usually harder.

BTW- make sure you watch what she's flushing! one day my niece proudly told me of how she went and got paper and flushed it. I was worried it was copy paper or something to clog it.
    Turned out she'd flushed the day care money mommy and daddy left lying out!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:39 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I potty trained my daughter around that age by letting her see other girls going potty. I asked moms of older girls to take her with when they took thier little girl, she has 3 aunts who she accompanied, she went with me, she went with my MIL. Pretty soon she got the idea that girls do that and of course wanted to act like the "big girls". Even if she was just sitting on the potty with a book we encouraged her to do it like us. We also gave good rewards.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:29 PM on May. 27, 2011