Does anyone have an animal backpack leash?

Do you have one? It is a backpack that children wear that has a leash attatched to it. whats your opinion are they terrible or a good idea? My mom says its horrible but I think its a good idea b/c its cute and from what I have seen most kids like it and its a good way to keep the kids safe, I mean its not like your putting a collar and leash on them...

kpolitte

Asked by kpolitte at 10:25 AM on May. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• It really depends on the child. I was lucky to have 3 kids who were not runners. If they had been, I would likely have used a harness of some sort (I still remember "walking" a friends brother when we were 6.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:32 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I have to say I do secretly cringe whenever I see anyone who has leashed their child THAT BEING SAID I do totally understand why some people choose to - my little brother was famous for his disappearing acts when he was little. One minute he was there, the next he was gone. This is just one of those weird social things that people feel uncomfortable about. If they are necessary use it and you just can't worry about what people thing but as far as being "cute" - no I just don't see it. This bothers me in the category and same lines as an older kid walking around with a pacifier in their mouth - horrifying to me but not my business so I keep my mouth shut.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:33 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I think in some cases they are okay.... in an airport when you are also toting luggage and there are a lot of people. I used one at a Mardi Gras parade when there were a bunch of people....(It was the family parade) But just in general I never used one.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:33 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My DD loves it and it was a huge help when I was pregnant and couldn't run after her.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:34 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I don't have one I had the old wrist strap thing with my older 2 boys. A friend of my hub's has one. When I saw their child in one I thought it was cute. They really liked it and said it worked out well for their child. I considered getting one for my 3rd, but with his sensory issues he would have had a fit about wearing it. I do think it is is a lot better than the wrist strap or other harness, this one is really cute looking, and I think the backpack can hold a few items as well. Plus it allows your child to walk free, but not get too far away from you. (especially if you have a 'runner' or 'wanderer').
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:37 AM on May. 27, 2011

• i have a 2 year old that loves to run but i would NEVER bought a leash on my child..leashes are for dogs..
    I have 3 kids... THEY listen to me!! the minute my 2 year old starts to run i spank his butt in public YES I DO !! he listens now !
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:40 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I used on with my DD at Disney World. It was not an animal just a little back pack and the tether attached to it. I wanted to use it so she would not run into the crowd and be gone. It didn't actually work though. She didn't want to hold my hand and she would take of and the sit down when she got to the end of the tether, then make me physically pick her back up and then she would do it again. I end up just using the stroller. At least that was a fight that didn't require me to pick her up every 5 steps.

IMO if the child is willing then there are situations where they can be a good tool.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:41 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I don't think they teach the child anything. My oldest was a runner. He had to learn that he can't do that, and he did. Of course it was a stressful time, but really - what parenting stage isn't? I agree that leashes are for dogs, not children. The only time I'd EVER consider it would be in an airport, and that situation never came up when my kids were younger.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:52 AM on May. 27, 2011

• We have used on with my son. He is very independent and didn't want to sit in the stroller or hold our hands... We were on vacation at the fort worth zoo, and I wasn't going to fight him the entire zoo, or try and keep an eye on him. So we bought the backpack at the zoo gift shop. He loved it!! Didn't even realize he was still attached to me. I'm not going to spanking my child bc he wants to be a little independent. It's called a compromise, and my child is NOT a dog, he is wearing a harness, not a collar and leash!!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:52 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My son loved his. It meant he didn't have to be strapped in a stroller all day. It meant he could walk like a big boy. It meant I didn't have to worry about him darting into the street if he saw a penny on the ground. It meant I could dig in my purse, find my wallet, pay someone, and carry three plates of food from a carnival vendor to a table without worrying about a certain little someone wandering off to look at the rides. MOST of the time he wore it, he was also holding my hand, but he was an independent curious toddler and I encouraged his independence without sacrificing his safety. So why look down your nose at me for it?
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:06 AM on May. 27, 2011