Question about unemployment in Ohio?

My husband was let go from his job on Monday. He filed for unemployment and we have been waiting to hear back. My problem is this, before he left after getting fired, the owner of the shop told him that he would do everything in his power to make sure he doesn't get his unemployment benefits. I know they can deny it and we have the right to appeal. But, last night, the owners had another co-worker call my DH to try to find out if he was going to file and if he had any beef with the owners. Then, this morning, one of the owners called DH to tell him he could use him as a reference. WTF? Are they allowed to contact dh once he has filed for unemployment? I just don't get why they are being so mean and vindictive.

KateShesGreat3

Asked by KateShesGreat3 at 10:38 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• Document all contact between your dh and them. Make sure to include the date and time and all information that you can about what was said. You can just write it in a notebook. Then do not give them any information as to his plans. They will find out soon enough. Your husband has no responsibly to that company anymore.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:43 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Employers pay a monthly premium to cover for unemployment insurance for their employees.
    Once your dh applied for UI benefits. Your dh must avoid contact with his employer. The employer can say that he didn't fire your dh.
    As long as your dh puts in writing that his employer fire him. Your dh will be getting his UI check soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 27, 2011