Baby cereal for a 1 month old?????

my DD just turned a month old, and eats a LOT. and when i say a lot i mean she is crying for a bottle every hour or so, she will eat 2 oz or 3 oz and want another in 30 min to an hour. she eats so much that i couldn't keep up with beast milk and dried up. my mom told me to but a little infant cereal in to her bottle not like the normal amount but like 1/4 a tsp or so, just enough to satisfies her. what should i do? keep giving her more even though the doctor say no more than 3 oz in 2 hours or try a little cereal?

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 10:47 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with your mother. milk is expensive....give her a little cereal not alot though.
    emerald2

Answer by emerald2 at 10:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I gave my dd cereal when she was a month old. Just a little bit in her bottle before bed time to help her sleep through the night is what I did. It help satisfy her and she didn't wake up every 2-3 hours starving! Take a needle and make the hole in the nipple a little bit bigger, not too much, put about a teaspoon of cereal in a made up bottle and feed it to her. Good luck. It will def help with the hunger issue!
    Navywife2808

Answer by Navywife2808 at 10:51 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I would only do it if the doctor says.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:52 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I would question your doc and get another opinion. Babies who typically eat that much and that often have undiagnosed reflux. Cereal is not appropriate unless it is ordered by a doctor to treat the reflux I would personally try 1cc (this is 1/5 of a teaspoon) of mylanta before the next feeding and see if that helps the baby go a little longer between feedings. BTW mylanta is safe to use in newborns--mine was on it at 5 days old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:53 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Honestly, I'm no ped. but I'd say no. It's absolutely normal for a 1 month old to eat alot and often. When I nurses my son he ate about every hour for the first month!

Also...her crying might not always indicate hungry. At this age they cry...alot! She could be tired, cold, hot, uncomfy, bored, or just plain feel like crying. During this time my lifesaver was those little vibrating bouncy chairs and white noise.

I wouldn't do the cereal because of allergy reasons, choking reasons, and also because alot of doctors say there is no proof that it keeps them full anyway. Good Luck!!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:54 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard and increases her risk of diabetes. DO NOT DO IT.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:55 AM on May. 27, 2011

• One more thing...look into reflux, GERD, colic and all those yucky newborn issues. Alot of times they just have trouble digesting in the beginning.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2011

• when she is crying she also suck on her hand so i can tell its hunger.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 11:01 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Please don't do this,, they cannot diges the cereal very well. I would think that this is pretty normal feeding pattern,,maybe you should change formulas? IDK it might be worth a shot to see if some other brand would make her more satisfied.. good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:02 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I say no cereal not even alittle bit at 1 month my newborn is 6 weeks old he kept wanting to eat every hour so his doc. sugessted I give him more formula he is eatin 5 oz every 3to 4 hrs. I never gave my 1st son cereal early either . just like with my first son Im going to hold off on the cereal until my baby turns 4 months at least.
    eleinaa

Answer by eleinaa at 11:03 AM on May. 27, 2011