Do you roll your eyes when a parent mentions their child is gifted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No even when they are bragging I smile and shake my head knowing some people live through their children.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:57 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Depends on the context. If it is bragging then probably so... But if it is just something more along the lines of having trouble getting services or something like that then no.

Case in point - My dd is gifted in reading...not all subjects but for sure reading. We have trouble finding age appropriate books for her that are challenging. I have asked for input before. But I don't just go around telling people off the top that my 8 y/o is reading above a high school level.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:52 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Not the first time. If they bring it up in EVERY conversation we have about how their child is just SO smart and he knows ALL his colors and he can count now! and he understands it when you tell him to do this and that and blah blah blah...as you can probably tell I have a coworker who does this. Now, I understand being proud of your kids. Heck, the day after my son's awards ceremony I was glowing because he received awards for his reading and writing and couldn't wait to tell people. However, this coworker talks constantly about her gifted child, especially when I talk about my concerns for my nephew, who isn't speaking too well right now. She'll ask how old he is, then start comparing her brilliant child to him. Not cool.

nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:05 AM on May. 27, 2011

• No. I have a gifted child (feel free to eye roll if you must). We shouldn't have to remain silent about our children and should be able to discuss everything about them if we choose. If my son had Autism or a delay would that make someone roll their eyes? My son has many challenges being gifted.  I don't have the support I would if he had learning delays. Seems sad so many are so negative and would roll their eyes at a mother for speaking about her child.

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 3:40 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Only when I know the child academically (I am a teacher and for whatever reason people like to tell about their kids during sports practices) and know they are not- even then- I roll my eyes on the inside-never on the outside because I know most parents believe their child to be gifted-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Depends on the parent, really. I know we all like to brag about our kids at times... I know I'm guilty of it once in awhile! But we all know those parents who just do it ALL the time. The only thing you EVER hear from them is how smart their kid is. Alright, I get it... your kid is perfect. Enough already.
    I have one friend on fb who constantly brags about how good her TWO AND HALF YEAR OLD is at saying nerdy things and playing video games. Really? He's a smart kid, I'll give her that... but bragging about how good he is at video games doesn't really count.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:16 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Not necessarily. There are children that are gifted or who earn a place in gifted and talented programs. We're all proud of our kids and we all like to share that fact from time to time. Just because a kid excels in a certain area or way doesn't mean their parent doesn't deserve to say so. If it's a parent that has a skewed sense of what it means to be gifted, well whatever. It's not really hurting me in anyway to see a Mom's pride bubbling up and over.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:55 AM on May. 27, 2011

• If you roll your eyes at that it's either because A) your jealous or B) you think the mother is full of shit. And if you think the mother is full of shit, and they then tell you how and why that child is gifted, your accused of bragging.Everyone wants their child to be intelligent, good at what they do, have some kind of talent. But if your kid doesn't do you really feel the need to get so annoyed with another who is? My oldest is gifted, (i'll leave it at that since if you actually tell people what tests they have been given or proof that they are actually gifted they think your just bragging) he also has aspergers and severe sensory integration for touch and movement. Yet it's ok to talk about his struggles and disabilities, but not ok to talk about what he does well? Can't you just be proud of your own kid for what THEY do well instead of hating on others.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 4:35 PM on May. 27, 2011

• No, but sometimes I REALLY want to!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:51 AM on May. 27, 2011

• No I am happy for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 27, 2011