Do your kids have tv's in their bedrooms?

My dd has a tv in her playroom. I won't let her have one in her bedroom. Her bedroom has two beds, a desk, and a bookshelf and that is all. I know some parents though don't let their child have a tv at all.

At what age do you think a child should have their own tv?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:50 AM on May. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My child will not ever have a tv in his room. I feel like that encourages kids to spend more time watching tv not to mention more time isolated form the rest of the family.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:52 AM on May. 27, 2011

• In my house... never. I think that kids need to learn to eat, sleep and play without the tv being on. There is one tv in our house, in the livingroom.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:53 AM on May. 27, 2011

• At what age do I think a child should have their own tv? When they are old enough to have their own place.

Neither my kids, nor DH and I, have a TV in our bedrooms. There is one TV in the house. We seem to get by OK.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:53 AM on May. 27, 2011

• No. Not ever. When they are old enough to hold down a job, buy a TV, pay for their own cable... THEN and only then can they have a TV in their room.

WHY would a parent put a TV in a child's room? WHY?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:54 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My kids are 11 and 16 and the both have TVs in their own rooms. Our older daughter has an Xbox with hers and our younger daughter a PS3. We also have a TV in our room and one in the living room. We have plenty of family time, but I don't expect my kids to spend every minute of the day with me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:55 AM on May. 27, 2011

• But Mommie - I understand that. What is funny in our house is that my dd has her own tv and dvd player in her playroom. She spends hardly any time in there. She would prefer to watch the news, Cosby Show, or whatever we are watching, OR play the XBox as a family. She would also prefer to curl up on the couch. But on weekend mornings she gets up and watches her tv. When she has a friend spend the night and they want to watch a movie they watch hers. Once in a great while she will go upstairs and watch her own tv. We just recently bought her a new tv and she wasn't even excited about it. She just checked it out and came back downstairs to play Michael Jackson Experience on XBox with us.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My kids do have a tv in their room- my oldest uses it for his Xbox 360. The tv is not hooked up to cable or a vcr- so really can't use it to watch anything unless the oldest puts a dvd in the xbox and plays it on there.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My 3 yr old has a tv in his bedroom. But it is very rarely turned on, all of his toys are in their playroom, and he is only in his room when I am up cleaning... It's there so they can watch tv, while I am cleaning themupstairs, and that is it,
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2011

• my daughter has always had a t.v. in her room. when she was younger i would put it on the music channel while she slept. now that she is 3, she is allowed to watch a short movie while falling asleep. i don't mind my daughter watching t.v. at all. i absolutely LOVE noggin! not only is it educational, but it also encourages children to move with the characters. She is 3 years old and has the vocabulary of a 5 year old. she also eats very healthy, like the noggin characters do.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 10:57 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My son has no television in any room. Nor do we. In his play room we have toys to play with. I detest tevelision and find it boring.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:59 AM on May. 27, 2011