• In the Spotlight:

Laundry and kids...

my 8 yr old loves to do his own laundry. however he refuses to empty his pockets before he loads the washer.... i have washed everything from crayons to decks of cards

hnaused2010

Asked by hnaused2010 at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he forget or does he really refuse? I make a laundry process list for my kids and it's on the wall in the laundry room. Sorting and checking pockets are things on the list. Maybe this would work for your son.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:59 AM on May. 27, 2011

• So what is the question?
    wkfrmhmmomof7

Answer by wkfrmhmmomof7 at 10:56 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My older 3 kids know how to do laundry. They learned at 7, 8 and 9 and did their own clothes for a year. I've gone back to doing it since we moved but I don't empty pockets. If the kids don't empty them too bad. I find all sorts of stuff in the wash and I keep all money. My husband doesn't empty anything either. I once found $45 in the wash between him and the kids (and I think I forgot $5, too, lol) and I've washed his ear buds for his phone a dozen times.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• my dh is the same way...tell him to empty his pockets before he takes his clothes off
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:59 AM on May. 27, 2011

• While my kids don't wash their laundry, they don't empty pockets. So yeah, I know what you mean about washing crayons. I had a black crayon go thru the washer/dryer and had some things ruined from that. The worst thing I have found is gum..... and now I have 2 shirts that have big gum patches on them....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:00 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My adult son STILL forgets things in his pockets. He's always looking for his pocket knife & its usually in the washing machine! I am always finding it in there. My little girls (dont know which one) a while back left a blue crayon in a pocket that I didnt catch. It was a mess. Once my son left a tube of lip ointment in his jeans. That was terrible. It made greasy stains all over all the jeans. I am bad about checking all pockets. I once washed a pair of sunglasses.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:12 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Yeah, I have washed crayons, candy, memory sticks, money, tissues, etc. Luckily the crayons fell out in the wash, so they did not make it to the dryer. Tissues are the worst!! Dh is the only one who does not check his pockets, and it always my fault when I wash something important like the memory stick. Luckily it still worked!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 11:15 AM on May. 27, 2011

• he refuses lol. he says it not the fun part of washing clothes lol. we have tried to make him see all he is doing is ruining his own clothes lol
    hnaused2010

Comment by hnaused2010 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on May. 27, 2011

• That is why my 8 yr olds dont do laundry.

Answer by gemgem at 11:21 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I just remembered..I washed an MP3 player once.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:44 AM on May. 27, 2011