Have you ever had a conversation with a parent of one child and think they do not "get it"?

Say the parent chose to have one child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think there is a difference between only children households and those with multiple children. I think both sets of parents have the same situations to deal with (school, teacher manners, and all that good stuff), but moms and dads with more than one child do have more to contend with. We have sibling rivalry for instance. I speak as someone raised as an only child and someone who has 5 kids now.

Answer by gemgem at 11:26 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Just what is it that we don't "get"? Fighting between siblings? The "Stop touching me" arguments? The "It wasn't me, it was Sally" blame game?

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:15 AM on May. 27, 2011

• No, but I've met quite a few parents of more than one who have overinflated egos and think they are somehow superior, simply because they've used their uterus more than once. My dog can do that, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:19 PM on May. 27, 2011

• The number of children you have does not effect your parenting skills. You are still a parent. If they dont get it, it probably means they dont or wont get it no matter how many children they decide to have.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:07 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Well, I only have one and I think I "get it". However, I have had conversations with parents of multiple children and have though they they didn't "get it". I don't think how many children you have matters that much in what kind of parent you are.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:09 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I have one son and yeah I get it. I was the youngest of five. I was the only girl. I have babysat and have been with family my whole life. I get it.........and got it and have a kid.Natural childbirth,no nanny, always devoted my whole life to my son and my son always comes first...
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 11:17 AM on May. 27, 2011

• ALL the time. I have six. I remember having one. Its a lot different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I have met many parents who have several children and I have to walk away scratching my head. The number of children is really not an issue. The vast majority of parents do not understand my son's medical issues and want to simplify things by saying it is probably diet. They often think because they have more than one child they know for a fact nothing is wrong and they know - because they have four kids, or three or six. Or their first child was just like mine and he is okay. Grrr. No parent gets it all the time every single time. I don't care how much experience you think you have or how much common sense you think you have.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:14 PM on May. 27, 2011

• HELL YEAH!!!!
    emerald2

Answer by emerald2 at 11:01 AM on May. 27, 2011

• thought that they* holy typos, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy