Best Christmas idea for keeping Santa real for a 6 year old?

What do you do to surprise your kids to prove to them that Santa has indeed visited?

Andy8

Asked by Andy8 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when i was little, me and my sister left a bundle of carrots out for the reindeer along with the cookies and milk.

wel santa always left a note for us, and the cookies were always gone along with the milk. the carrots, were gone also and little crumbs of it were left behind with the little twisty-tie thing that keeps them together that was left there also and it was "chewed" looking so it seemed like they were really eating it.

i believed in santa for a long time! lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 9:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• We always left cookies and milk for Santa and a carrot for Rudolph. In the morning the cookies were gone and the carrot was down to the end. Santa always left us a letter too. The funny thing was, it was always in a different handwriting. My mom tried at least. Christmas in our house was always a magical and wonderful day for us kids.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Why are you trying to keep up a lie that your child has obviously seen through? If they are realizing Santa's not real, then so be it. Just make sure they are kind about it with others who still believe. I do not do Santa at all at my house....I don't do any kind of pretend person. Fairy tales belong in books, not in holidays.
    Anonymous

• When we celebrated Christmas we did a Santa, but by the time mine were 6 they were helping me be Santa for the younger ones. Instead of perpetuating a myth that they were more than able to know was a myth, I used it as an opportunity to teach them to do nice things for others in secret - without expecting to be thanked. Now we don't celebrate Christmas anymore, but they still make special things for one another or others outside our home that they love to give in secret. (My younger ones have caught on to this also and participate just as much without having learned it through being Santa.) They weren't upset to lose believing in Santa because I told them they had grown up to the point they now could BE Santa. If we were continuing to celebrate Christmas - and involving Santa at all - we'd be continuing to do Santa this way. The year mine were 5-6 was their first year to get in on the "action" of Christmas Eve.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:34 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• We didn't, because we did not want to lie to our children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• part of the fun of christmas for me is to look in to my children;s eye's and see the excitment of christmas. And yes, this includes santa!!!!!!!My kids are 1&8. I know that this is the last yr my son will "belive". When he asks me about santa yes, i will tell him that santa is in everyone of us. Is he "real"? No, you cannot touch him but if you look into your heart you will see him. Until that day comes for that conversation you bet your butt I will do it up for him. Yes, milk and cookies. Yes, carrots for the reigndeer. Yes, my husband running around out side at night with sleighbells while we look out the window looking for the sleigh. These are the memories that we as family cherish. And next year when he knows that santa is not "real", I know he will have just as much fun making it real for his sister as we have making it for him. Merry Christmas!!!!!!!
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 12:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2008