Nipple confusion in a premie

my premie was a month early, but he latched on with no problem. 2 days later he wouldnt take the breast nipple. the nurses in the nicu gave him a bink and since then... retraining him seems impossible, it is frustrating! he latches but realizes he has to work for his milk and he lets go.

hnaused2010

Asked by hnaused2010 at 11:11 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds was like that too, he never would latch on so i had to bottle feed (that and my body refused to make enough milk) anyways, the only bottles i could get him to take were the soothie cuz the nipple is just like the paci GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:16 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I had the same thing happen. I had to fight with them in the NICU to let me breastfeed. Finally I took a copy of the laws in and told them that I was going to do it. By then it was pretty much too late. I was in my mid 30s when she was born and it was so hard to get pregnant with her that I knew she was going to be my last. She's 8 now and I feel so ripped off.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:26 AM on May. 27, 2011

• if he is still in the hospital tell to please refrain from giving him a pacifier until you have fed him. They have to do as you ask even if you have to put it in writing. My boys were both preemies and I told all the nurses not to give them the pacifiers unless absolutely necessary. Yes they do have to learn to suck swallow and breath but if your child is doing this then I see no reason as to give him a pacifier
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:41 PM on May. 27, 2011

• we are home now, but it was written on his chart no bink and no formula, that he was a breastfed baby. the one nurse he had gave him both!! the next time she was on shift she kicked daddy out of nursery because colton was hungry, i went in and he had a bink in his mouth! i took it out and threw it at her!! then i went to her boss and her reassigned to a different child. the next time she was assigned to colton, there was no bink anywhere near his pod and she was very nice and decent. even apologized for giving it to him. her excuse was that they couldnt get ahold of me. i wasnt able to leave my room let alone leave the hosp, where was i going to disappear to?? so i gave her my cell number to put on his folder and after that every time he was hungry or they wanted me on the unit, they called my cell.
    hnaused2010

Comment by hnaused2010 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on May. 27, 2011