Bugs, bites, and blood. Please help!?!?

My son is 3. Mosquito's love him. They get in my house, and at night when he is sleeping, they eat him. I don't know what to do. I can't afford a screen door for the back door, so I leave it open when my kids are playing outside. I am sure that is when and how they are coming in. Is there anyway to keep them out or off of him at night? I don't have a lot of money, but he does not understand "no scratching." So he does, a lot. Then he bleeds, scabs, and scars. Is there anything I can do to help him with bites he has already? Ok lots of questions.... Sorry.

1. How can I keep mosquitos out of my house?
2. And out of his room or off him at night? (no, I will not put him to bed covered in bug repellent)
3. How do I treat the bites he has already and may get in the future? ie The open wounds? I am afraid the mentholatum will burn.

4. Has anyone used bug nets before? He is 3 and his crib is his toddler bed with a side taken off.

Any advice is welcome, thank you so much ladies. :-)

luv.my.kids.365

Asked by luv.my.kids.365 at 11:12 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• look on Amazon for "mosquito bed net"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 27, 2011

• My SIL put Mentholatum on her granddaughter's mosquito bites yesterday and within minutes, they stopped itching and the redness was gone as well.

Hope that helps.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:18 AM on May. 27, 2011

• Thank you ladies, I will look in to both of those. :-)
    luv.my.kids.365

Comment by luv.my.kids.365 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on May. 27, 2011

• rubbing alchoal works to stop itching and repell them. i have also heard of rubbing dryer sheets on the body to repell, i havent tried it though
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:58 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I can't put rubbing alcohol on the open ones but I will try it on the closed ones. Thank you.
    luv.my.kids.365

Comment by luv.my.kids.365 (original poster) at 12:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Mosquito Attractants

Use this list of items and activities that attract mosquitoes as a list of things to avoid or that can be used as bait to lure mosquitoes away from you.

Dark Clothing
    Many mosquitoes use vision to locate hosts from a distance. Dark clothes and foliage are initial attractants.

Carbon Dioxide
    You give off more carbon dioxide when you are hot or have been exercising. A burning candle or other fire is another source of carbon dioxide.

Lactic Acid
    You release more lactic acid when you have been exercising or after eating certain foods (e.g., salty foods, high-potassium foods).

Floral or Fruity Fragrances
    In addition to perfumes, hair products, and scented sunscreens, watch for the subtle floral fragrance from fabric softeners and dryer sheets.

Skin Temperature
    The exact temperature depends on the type of mosquito. Many mosquit
    dtMOM09

Answer by dtMOM09 at 12:18 PM on May. 27, 2011

• natural repellants:
    Citronella Oil
    Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
    Cinnamon Oil
    Castor Oil
    Rosemary Oil
    Lemongrass Oil
    Cedar Oil
    Peppermint Oil
    Clove Oil
    Geranium Oil
    Possibly Oils from Verbena, Pennyroyal, Lavender, Pine, Cajeput, Basil, Thyme, Allspice, Soybean, and Garlic
    Another plant-derived substance, pyrethrum, is an insecticide. Pyrethrum comes from the flowers of the daisy Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium.

dtMOM09

Answer by dtMOM09 at 12:19 PM on May. 27, 2011

• ive used lavender massage oil you can buy it at an essential body store. Even Target has it I believe.
    dtMOM09

Answer by dtMOM09 at 12:20 PM on May. 27, 2011

• 1. How can I keep mosquitos out of my house?   KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED!!! Go outside with your child, rather than leaving the door open or invest in some screen netting that can stick to the door frame for these times.   Sorry keeping the door open is a sorry excuse in a situation like this just because you dont' have a screen.. either spend the money and get it, or close the door and go outside with your child, a child that young should go out alone anyways.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:03 PM on May. 27, 2011

• 2. And out of his room or off him at night? (no, I will not put him to bed covered in bug repellent)

Well again, if you close the door like you should, you shouldn't have that problem.   BUT in the mean time, try some citronella candles around the house (in places he can't reach), and there are lots of other natural remedies you can use to keep bugs off, see pp above.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:07 PM on May. 27, 2011