Does anyone know why my 10 year old niece is pooping and peeing in her bedroom?

I'm not a mom, but i do care for my 10 year old niece most of the day when her mom is gone. For the past few months she has been peeing at the bottom of her bed. It's not while she's sleeping. She gets up and sits at the bottom of her bed and just gos. I've never witnessed it happen tho. She shares a room with her mom and always sleeps in her moms bed with her. She is also pooping into her toy box. and into a suitcase full of barbies, and i just found poop in her lego box. She has also pooped right on the floor by her closet. I also found a box with hair she cut off of her barbies under her bed. She takes no responsibility with it either. She told her mom that its because there's always someone in the bathroom when she wants to go, but i don't believe that for a second. It must be happening at night when everyone's sleeping because nobody ever sees it happening. And i did mention that she shares a room with her mom and she never sees it either. Nobody is doing anything about it and i'm getting worried. I can't talk to her about it because she just yells at me and tells me to leave her alone. I hope someone can please give me some insight on here.

AuntTiphie

Asked by AuntTiphie at 11:48 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• There is something going on with this girl, obviously. Not only is this not normal, it's a sign of abuse. She needs to see a child psychologist before she moves on to self mutilation. Did her mother recently start or stop seeing someone that has been around your niece? I know you may not like this question, but is there any way that your sister could be abusing her own daughter? It's not unheard of. Your niece may be doing this hoping to deter her at night? The important thing is the welfare of the child, call CPS if you have to, even if your sister hates you for a while, if she is a good mom then she will eventually forgive you for loving her daughter enough to be the bad guy. Best to you.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 12:01 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It almost seems like an attention thing to me. Her mom kind of ignores her. My niece doesn't have what i call structure. She sits on the internet all day and night. Her mom seems more interested in men. Neither one of them clean at all. It's disgusting! They yell to communicate with each other. Sorry, this doesn't really have anything to do with my question. But then again, maybe it does. She has been to a therapist but my sis doesn't keep up with anything as far as getting more help. She doesn't beat my niece or anything. I've lived with them for over a year now. There is just something really really wrong with her. My sis takes everything as an insult if i try to talk to her about it. She just tells me that she doesn't need anyone telling her how to raise her kid. It's truly ruining my relationship with my sis and niece.
    AuntTiphie

Comment by AuntTiphie (original poster) at 12:13 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Sounds like they both need therapy. This is so not normal...and for her mom to be so defensive is not good either. I'm with Aneya on this.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:23 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Mom needs to get her help. Tell her you can't watch the child anymore until she gets her help

Answer by admckenzie at 2:23 PM on May. 27, 2011

• BOTH of them need therapy and need it NOW.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:22 PM on May. 27, 2011

• This all sounds bad, scary bad. Your niece is in trouble. You are an adult living in a home with a child who needs help. You have the responsibility to see that she does no matter what. You can do something drastic like call CPS or some related agency, or you can simply take her to a pediatrician and tell the doctor what you've seen. If the doctor determines there's a serious issue that requires immediate attention, then he/she can make the necessary arrangements. Obviously by posting here, you are unsure about what to do. By letting the doctor decide what needs to be done you can feel reassured that you did the right thing without the fear that you over reacted.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 5:00 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Is it possible the mom is the abuser? You need to do something now. Call the school and ask to speak with a counselor. Or call the police dept and ask to speak with someone in the special victims unit.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:08 PM on May. 31, 2011

• She could be afraid of the toilet. When I was younger, I watched a scary movie I wasn't supposed to and it was with this guy who was sitting on the toilet and a snake went right up his butt. Seriously I would hold it for as long as i could and then make sure my mom was in the kitchen doing something before I would go in there. It could be she is scared of the toilet or what is in it. Maybe maybe not.
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011