Why do we only allow someone to be president for two terms?

Don't you think this country would be in much better shape (given the good leadership) if we stayed consisant and allowed someone to be president for longer than eight years? And I'm not speaking for our current president, I'm speaking for any president that pulled us out of a shit hole and helped us become stable again. Don't you think this country needs stability?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 11:48 AM on May. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we should stick with one president for longer than we do. 8 years isnt long enough for someone who is doing a good job.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 11:50 AM on May. 27, 2011

• While I agree with the idea of stability, it is in man's nature to be in control and power. There must be a limit to avoid dictatorship and tyranny. Even with the best intentions power can go to anyone's head. That's also why there's so many other officials that must all work together, and keep checks and balances on each other.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 11:51 AM on May. 27, 2011

• OMG..... Isn't it obvious?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:54 AM on May. 27, 2011

• No...If you have someone horrible you need to be able to vote them out

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:55 AM on May. 27, 2011

• I think two terms is more than enough.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 11:58 AM on May. 27, 2011

• We needs stability, but that will not be the way we get it.

If you want change you have to start voting from research, NOT from fear!!!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:04 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It's been tried before. FDR had 3 terms and was elected a 4th time but died the following year. The 22nd amendment was passed in 1947 to prevent the US from becoming a dictatorship.

Why would you want someone in longer than 2 terms? I think the house and senate should have term limits too. We don't need career politicians.

Absolute power corrupts people!

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 12:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I get what you are saying but at the same time, why can't other things stay consistant so we don't keep falling into the shit hole?
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 12:11 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Franklin Roosevelt is the only president to serve more than 2 terms, and his health was so poor during the 4th, VP Truman ran most of it. Congress passed the 22nd amendment afterwards to set the limit at 2.

Most presidential candidates are over 60 when they are elected, so their health and mental well being may be questionable after 8 years with the stress of the job. With longer lifespans these days, it may not be such an issue.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:20 PM on May. 27, 2011

And what makes you think that someone being in there for more than 8 years won't put us deeper into that hole? How long is long enough for you to keep the same president? 12 years? 16 years? 20 years?

And the way Obama is spending us into oblivion I don't think we'll survive another 8 let alone 12 or 16 of him.

I think the founders had the right idea. They didn't want us to be like other countries at the time where the leader was elected to serve until their death with no elections. That is what made us completely different from the other nations at the time. You really want to change that?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 12:22 PM on May. 27, 2011