What traits do you think makes a person socially awkward?

So many people are against home-schooling because of the whole 'socialization' stereotype. Many say that home-schooled kids become socially awkward adults. So here are a couple questions:

1. How many home-schoolers do you actually, personally know? (Not how many have you seen on t.v., or how many you've heard about.)

2. What traits do they have that make them socially awkward?

3. How do you know that trait is caused by home-schooling, specifically, and not by other factors?

4. What makes you think you can extrapolate and apply those traits to all home-schoolers, everywhere, regardless of how similar or dissimilar they are from those few that you personally know?

EDIT*******

5. How many public/private school kids/adults do you know that exhibit those same traits? And why in that case is it never blamed on the school?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 12:04 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• great question , cant wait for honest answers
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• The home schooled kids that I know are not socially awkward. I know 4, from 3 different families. I think it depends on the parents that are homeschooling and how social/active the family is.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:07 PM on May. 27, 2011

• 1. Seven. One used to be my best friend, 3 were co-workers, one is the sister of my best friend, and 2 are DH's coworkers.
    2. Different traits for different people. Sometimes a difficult time making conversation, the inability to recognize when someone doesn't want to speak with you, inability to read body language, over-sharing information, etc
    3. I don't. But the people I have known all have ^ those traits, and homeschooling in common.
    4. I don't think that those traits apply to all homeschoolers. Just the ones I know.

Sorry if you don't like it. I'm not against homeschooling, but I have made observations based on the people I know. Just being honest.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:10 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My son is NOT home schooled and is socially awkward by his diagnosis!

The only home schooled kids I ever met were the kids down the street I grew up near. They weren't even socially awkward as much as just 'sheltered' maybe that is the right word... There parents had 6 kids and they never left the house. EVER! Dad worked and did all the shopping. Thinking back I am pretty sure they didn't have a TV either I would play with these kids and they had no idea how to play 'normal' games like tag and racing bikes. This is obviously a little extreme! Most home schooled kids I know are in sports and go to play dates and a 'normal' kids!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Oh, Here's another question then DusterMommy: How many public/private schooled people do you know with some or all those same traits?
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 12:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• 1. Dozens. many of of our friends were homeschooling as children.

2. I am curious to this as well. Most of the home schooled people we know are not socially awkward. In fact I'm always been impressed by the children's ability to socially interact with more then just their peers. Most of them may be considered "socially awkward" because they don't seem to rely on the opinions or social stigmas of their peers. The few socially awkward homeschooling I knew, were not that way because of homeschooling, but because of their strict religious upbringings.

3.Like i mentioned before, the few people I knew that may be classified as socially awkward were due to their religious upbringing or health issues. my brother was in public school and he is very socially awkward. This Is due to his mental health disorder. There were many socially awkward kids in the schools I went to as a child.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• 4. I think people label because they are insecure about their own choices, or they are truly ignorant and base their opinions on the rare exceptions. My grandmother is the same way. She is extremely against homeschooling. Even though she has never met a single homeschooling person (at least not to her knowledge), she says she heard of a story where a boy killed his mother, and he was home schooled. Ignorance at its best.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:19 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I guess i'll add to my answer. My dd is an only child and like things to go "as planned" She likes to have organized play but isn't great at free play where. She is not homeschooled, I think it is because she doesn't have alot of chance to deal with this and she is an only child. She is also around adults alot who all talk to her on a higher level and treat her with respect. When other kids just act like kids she can't imagine why.

The homeschooled kids I have seen (some family included) have had one or 2 social issues but the reality is most kids have something they struggle with. I'm not 100% for homeschooling but I can't exactly pinpoint why. I just think kids need to learn to adapt to all kinds of situations and be able to take instruction from lots of different adults. That being said I haven't seen an extreme social awkwardness from homeschooled kids.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:20 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Three of my second cousins (siblings) were homeschooled their entire lives in a very Catholic environment.
    The oldest boy was too much older than me for me to concern myself with. He had a steady girlfriend at the time, that's all I know. He's in his 30s now still living at home. The second oldest, another boy is now a woman, still livng at home, pushing 30. The girl my age just overly shy. We eventualy made friends at 14. I remember having to tell her not to stare openmouthed at cute guys lol She's the most normal one now: steady job, own place, steady boyfriend. She was like any other publicly schooled late bloomer. Does any of that have to do with their homeschooling? *shrug*
    I think as long as your kids have opportunities to meet others their own age (Boys and girls club, YMCA, sports teams etc) they will be just fine. The girl cousin was the only one who had friends outside of their small homeschool group.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:35 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I am curious too. Never checked back to see if anyone responded to me when I asked that in the homeschooling post.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 3:23 PM on May. 27, 2011