Is it playing god to choose the gender of your baby?

I've heard that during invitro fertilization, doctors can remove a few cells from the embryo at a certain stage and use them to determine the gender of the embryo. Then, they can take all the eggs of the chosen gender to place back in the uterus. Thus, the woman would conceive her specified gender. I think the other embryos are destroyed.

How do other woman feel about this?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:08 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think its a wonderful option for couples who carry sex specific genetic diseases. I wouldn't do it "just because" but if I was saving my child from a terrible disease I would certainly consider it.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:16 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Not if you don't believe in God.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:16 PM on May. 27, 2011

• It depends. There are some good applications for this. There are some genetic diseases that are only carried on one chromosome, x or y. If I was aware of that, I would consider this option instead of not having children at all.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:36 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Well,God does not chose the gender of your baby....the egg and sperm and the chromosomes determine the sex...but, that said,
    I think it is way too CONTROLLING to decide you only want a baby of a specific sex. All babies should be wanted no matter what their sex is.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:12 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Playing god, trying to out smart nature... whatever you belief system, yes I do. We are not as smart as we think we are.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:22 PM on May. 27, 2011

• "I think the other embryos are destroyed."

This is playing God. Removing cells from the embryo will not 100% guarantee the gender so that is still up to God in the end.

Answer by Jademom07 8 minutes ago

-------------------------------
    No its NOT. God has nothing to do with the SEX of your baby! The chromosomes in the sperm decides. DOn't you know that YET?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:27 PM on May. 27, 2011

• My policy...Don't screw with Mother Nature!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Wow I would not do that. let nature take its course and decide what gender is to be announced.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:10 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I think girlglow6 just won best answer!! I almost spit soda all over my screen.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:18 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Wouldn't you consider IVF already "playing God?" How about heart transplants? Immunizations? Cosmetic surgery?
    You can consider it all playing God if it changes the outcome of what would happen if you left it alone. But if you want to make it sound morally wrong you call it playing God.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:44 PM on May. 27, 2011