How do you keep the cake from breaking up while your frosting it?

I am making sd12 a birthday cake and in the past when I go to frost it, part of the cake will come up with the frosting when I lift the knife. Then then there will be chunks of cake in the frosting and it looks terrible. Do you have any tricks to keep this from happening?

Esmrlda

Asked by Esmrlda at 12:26 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Put it in the freezer for 45 minutes before you frost it. I also put my frosting in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften it a little...not too runny though.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• do you let it cool all the way before frosting?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:27 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I freeze mine over night and frost it frozen! By t he time you are done the cake is basically thawed and by party time it is ready to eat.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I mix pwder sugar and water to make a kind of glaze that I pour over the cake, I let it set then frost,, IDK I have the same problem evry time I make one, and I let it cool as well, anyway I just kind of came up with the glaze thing on my own.. good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:40 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yep - it's got to be COMPLETELY cool before you frost.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• You have to let it cool.

Answer by older at 12:29 PM on May. 27, 2011

• you can also whip the frosting with a hand mixer so that it is more spreadable if using the jarred frosting. But, the cake has to be totally cool....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:32 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Let the cake properly cool down and have frosting at room temp.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 12:32 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Yes the cakes have been cool, I covered it with saran wrap last night and I noticed part of the saran was touching the cake this morning and I went to lift it and part of the cake already came up so I know it is going to be a nighmare with the frosting. I really like the freezing part.
    Esmrlda

Comment by Esmrlda (original poster) at 12:35 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Don't "lift" the knife. Make a denser cake. Make your frosting less dense (I only use homemade and if it's too thick it'll crumb up). Crumb coat - thin layer to grab & hold the crumbs, then later another layer to be pretty.
    Anonymous