Hates to get dressed?

My youngest is 10 months old and he HATES getting dressed. Anyone else?

I don't remember my older kids doing this until after they turned 1.

He cracks me up. He pulls his socks off whenever he can (by standing next to the couch, stepping on the toes of one and pulling his foot out, lol). He HATES his shoes and throws a fit every time we put them on him. He HATES hats and will immediately pull them off. He doesn't care for jackets and whines and cries whenever he has to wear one and refuses to keep the hoods on.

And now he has started really struggling when we change his clothes. He pushes his pants back down and tries to get his legs out before we can pull them up. He tries to undo his diaper. If the shirt is loose enough and has long sleeves he will pull his arms out. And he really fights when you put a clean one on him.

It's not too much trouble right now. My older son was so huge when he started this it took two of us to hold him down and dress him.

Anyone else going through this?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:35 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I SO went through that when my son was that age lol!~ stubborn little stinkers.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:54 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Oh yes. My daily struggle in fact lol. I feel like i'm wrestling with him and i'm always afraid of using too much force. Mine is famous for twisting his body around as much as he can and grabbing onto anything he can to try and pull himself away. I'll tell you what, that boy is strong!! I'm hoping he eventually grows out of it but who knows. I've given up on velcroe shoes, they're just way too easy for him to get off.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 12:54 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I have to hold him down with my legs sometimes. My husband dressed him today and held his head with his feet, lol. That didn't stop Jack from trying to undo his diaper and get it off. He was making this nose and had this look like, "this isn't going to stop me!"

My older son, though, was really big for his age (tall and all muscle). It literally took 2 people to dress him. One to hold his top half and the other the bottom. Tag team toddler diaper changes we called them. I couldn't do it on my own. He spent a lot of time in just a diaper or a onesie even in the winter because it was impossible to get clothes on him, lol. My girls were smaller so it wasn't as much of an issue to wrestle the clothes on them.

It's kind of cute except when you're in a hurry and trying to get them ready to go somewhere.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 2:06 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Shoes and socks are not natural so of course they don't like them. He shouldn't be wearing shoes anyway. It's summer. He shouldn't need clothes.
    Anonymous

• It's 50F out today... he should go without clothes? The heat is off in our house. It's actually kind of chilly and I'm in jeans and a long sleeve shirt, socks, house shoes and I'm contemplating putting my sweatshirt on.
    It's sure not summer everywhere.

And he only wears shoes when we are going out. And once summer comes he HAS to wear a hat to protect his head from the sun. This is my 5th kid, I know what I'm doing. Not so sure about anon, though.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 3:57 PM on May. 27, 2011

• my boys were and my youngest still is this way it is a struggle to get him dress let alone keep clothes on him
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:38 PM on May. 27, 2011

• That's my boy lol. Luckily Maddie does not give me issues yet. I still have a hard time keeping Abby in clothes though.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2011