Should I go get my son from school, we are under tornado warning, and I think I made a big mistake!

Well this past weekend we were in Branson and had to take cover in our condo's closet for tornado warning. On the way home we drove through Joplin and saw the horrible destruction. We have been watching it on the news, and keeping track of thing because we know people who live there. I am sorry I tend to ramble,, anyway yesterday we had tornado warnings and my son and his school went to the basement, DS is six and he started to cry, he kept asking the teacher please call my mommy, she is out driving, and I am worried, the was almost unable to get it together. I probably SHOULD have been more aware of what he saw and has heard, well now the sirens are going off, and I know that he is going to be scared again, but I don't want him to think I can rescue him evertime,, I feel so guilty and like a bad Mom.

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 12:36 PM on May. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agre with hubby. If teacher can call you on cell so he can feel better great. The most imp. thing is for Him and YOU to be safe... it is NOT safe to go out driving in a tornado. You would be risking his mental health MORE by going to get him b/c you'd be putting yourself AND him in danger.

Talk to him .... about how scary it is, about what to do and go to be safe, make plans with him. Talk about his fears and make plans and agreements to help him feel safer and more comfortable. A little fear is a healthy thing..,. nature is NOT something to be taken lightly. So talk about it, teach him about what, why where...make family plans etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:55 AM on May. 28, 2011

• I'd want my kid right with me, how scary to have them be in school alone with out mommy in a scary tornado! whats one day of school anyway especially at the end of the year!? :(
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 12:41 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I would go get him or insist you be allowed to be with him in the basement. No you can't be with him every time but this is a situation where you know he is upset because of what he has seen and heard recently. It won't always be like that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:40 PM on May. 27, 2011

• You're not a bad mom. Please dont go running to the school though. Not a good idea. What if there really was a tornado & you were driving out in it to the school? You and he are safer right where you are. My daughter is 5 & in K & they too had to go to the basement of the school. If every mom went running up to the school at a time like that can you imagine how unsafe that would be for everyone? Sure I was concerned but I knew she was safe. I also talked to her about it when she got home & made sure she understood that we do what we have to do to stay safe at school & home but unfortunately sometimes we can't all be together.
    Anonymous

• I know here, (in Alabama) if they are under a tornado warning they won't let you take the kids from school, for their own safety. I wouldn't go get him if it looks like its going to pass. I would however get him as soon as the warning was lifted if it looks like the weather is going to be bad all day long.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:26 PM on May. 27, 2011

• but i do understand not being able to rescue him for EVERY warning. but still it would freak me out to think of him being at the school if one hit him.
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 12:42 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I wouldnt go. For his own good. Here's an example. You might think oh he's little & kids wont make fun of him but believe me kids remember stuff. He'll be the kid who's mommy came to school to "rescue" him. My daughter is in high school. She's gone to school with most of the same kids since kindergarten. There's a boy named Austin who pooped his pants in 2nd grade in art class. ALLLL this time later you know what kids remember about him? When other kids reference him they say "Which Austin? (there's more then one). "Poopy Pants!" "oh him". Sad but true.
    Anonymous

• Minimo77: A tornado warning can happen in the middle of the day when the kids are in school already! They cant just start sending everyone home in an emergency situation!
    Anonymous

• i would def go get him
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 12:43 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Well the sirens have stopped, so I am going to leave my question up because I do need some advice on talking to him about what he has seen and heard,, My husband told me to stay put, not because he didn't want me to get him, but he was worried that something might happen (tornado wise) while I was on my way to get him,, he said get your hiney in the basement,,LOL! I don't want you driving Billy around during a tornado!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 12:43 PM on May. 27, 2011