What do I wear to my step-daughter's high school graduation?

My step-daughter is graduating high school next week, and I have no idea what to wear. I want to wear something classy and chic... but here are my dilemmas:
1) my husband's ex-wife will be there and I MUST look better than her (lol)
2) I am 29 but look 17...I have a baby face and am very petite (I need to look like a STEP-MOM, not a member of the graduating class)
3) I have to be able to move around because my husband and I also have a 1 year old we will be trying to keep busy during the 3-hour graduation ceremony
4) I hate my legs, so skirts are basically out of the picture because I'll never feel sexy or classy with my calves exposed

THANK YOU!!!! :) lol I know this is petty, but I don't know where else to turn...

mrs_bunch

Asked by mrs_bunch at 12:37 PM on May. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You could also go with a nice pant suit that you have a better chance pulling off than the ex-wife. That would be classy and chic AND hides your legs. You can add accents with accessories, but don't go overboard. If you like to wear heels, throw on a pair of those.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:11 PM on May. 27, 2011

• What about a very long sundress with a cute 3/4 sweater? I know you said you hate your legs, but I have seen some really cute long ones everywhere. I would make sure to wear eyeliner and do the big make up thing! Your going to look great!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:47 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I'd wear a long sundress personally. When my sons graduated last year I wore a long skirt and a dressy sleeveless top. WHY do you need to outshine the ex though? That seems very petty and shallow. You already have the man and he's obviously having a crisis if he married someone who isn't even old enough to be the mother of his graduating child so why rub it in? You won...isn't that enough?
    Anonymous

• I woud say business casual is appropriate. You do want to show a certain level of respect for the graduates. I would suggest getting a sitter for the one year old if possible. Tough age to sit through a graduation. If you to take the one year old be ready to walk out with him or her if a problem arises. I know I would be mad if a one year old were crying as my child's name were called and I couldn't hear. I don't recall seeing very many if any toddlers at my son's graduation in 2 years ago.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:56 PM on May. 27, 2011

• I agree business casual would be good.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:53 PM on May. 27, 2011

• Anonymous poster who was so disgustingly rude two posts up... first, you don't know me. Why are you judging who I married and our age difference? My husband was a 20 year old who made a bad choice by sleeping with someone, and ended up with a kid. He's 9 years older than me. (a hell of a lot more mature and much more on my mental level than MY first husband, thank God)

In my question, I stated "I know this is petty". Thank you for reiterating that. Obviously, since I am not Jesus, I am human and often falter in my footsteps, sometimes feeling petty and shallow. God has found it in His heart to not only forgive me, but to send His Son to die for each of these sins on the cross. He is my judge...not you.

If you actually have an answer to provide regarding my question of "What should I wear"... not who should I marry or how old are his kids... then I'm happy to listen to your answer. "A long sundress" would have sufficed.
    mrs_bunch

Comment by mrs_bunch (original poster) at 9:21 AM on May. 28, 2011

• Obviously you must be a biological mom, perhaps one whose ex-husband married someone young and gorgeous? I don't know... just interesting to note the seething anger in your answer.

To the rest of you... THANK YOU THANK YOU for all of your help. I think I am leaning toward light capri pants, with a black nice blouse, and black stilettos. Hair up in a chic bun, maybe... THANK YOU again!!!!! I appreciate each of you taking the time to respond!!! :)
    mrs_bunch

Comment by mrs_bunch (original poster) at 9:23 AM on May. 28, 2011